When I was in high school I had a friend named Carie (as mentioned in previous blogs). When you are in high school and you are a girl you do two odd things. You 1) write your first name with any cute boy’s last name just to see how it looks and 2) you plan your children’s names. I kind of remember liking Taylor and Parker.
Once Carie and I were discussing one or both of the previously mentioned odd things. (Disclaimer: I remember this conversation clearly- but I might remember it differently then my friend- so if you remember this differently- let me know!) I don’t remember all the details but I do remember me saying to her that I wanted five boys when I grew up. That way it could be a basketball team. She looked at me and said that I was crazy- she wanted all (or mostly) girls. We decided that our kids would marry each other and live happily ever after. We also had delusions that on our 10th anniversaries, we would go on a cruise together- with our husbands. One of the many problems with that idea was that on her 10th anniversary, it was my 4th! So she grew up and had two boys. Then she had four girls after that.
I have always wanted boys but as I grew up I definitely decided that girls would be a good thing to have around. I had changed my mind. As I have had my kids and each of them has been a boy- I still have my opinion that boys are great. We have this new baby coming and will be our last. So I have really pondered if I would be sad if it was another boy. Well I decided that I might be sad that my boys would not watch sappy girly movies with me or that we never go down the pink aisle at the toy store- but I would not be sad for a boy.
Last week we went in for our ultrasound. We walked in with our kids. (This is a subject for another blog- babysitters.) The lady at the desk said, “Oh no, you have 3 boys!” I told her that they would be good thinking that she didn’t want all the chaos. She said that she knew that but she hated the pressure of finding out the gender when someone already has 3 of one. She has obviously had some bad experiences. I told her that we really didn’t care- really. It would be great if it was a girl but it would be easier and fun to have 4 boys. So during the ultrasound Andre and I saw something that looked very familiar. It is a boy! We are really happy. The boys got what they wanted so they were excited. Now I can go buy Alex more clothes without feeling like it will be wasted and I don’t have to buy any more toys- I have enough! I think I had talked myself into the fact that it was a girl because I still have remnants of girl thoughts in my head. I just think about how wonderful it is that I don’t have to repaint the baby’s room. I will just have to watch sappy movies with my nieces. And if you count Andre as a boy- I got my basketball team!
4 comments:
Oh Janelle! You have such a great attitude. You're amazing. You can borrow my sweeties anytime and they will watch all the girly movies you want! Congrats!
Dad says
Yahoo for Grandchildren!!!
Congrats for another boy!! Any names picked out yet? (Yes I still discuss names just like in high school.) I vaguely remember that conversation. I only remember that you wanted boys and you liked the names Parker and Taylor. I don't remember me wanting all girls, but I still can relate to girls better. (although I love my boys too). How do you remember so much from high school? I can barely remember anything.
Ugh the last comment was supposed to say from Carie. I hit the button on my mouse (getting used to a new lap top) and it won't let me edit it.
Carie
Post a Comment