Friday, March 13, 2020

Living the life Corona style

Some of this blog is just our everyday info. Some of it is documenting how the corona virus or Covid-19 virus is increasingly invading our lives.

Friday I had the day off. This was nice because I was able to take Alex to the temple before school and stay home with Chase to do some things with him because elementary had the day off. The temple was packed on that Friday morning. I guess the elementary aged 11 year olds invaded the temple. So Alex did not have time to do baptisms. He did do some confirmations. He has a goal to go to the temple 3 times a month and he has been pretty amazing at remembering and sacrificing to do it. This weekend I really worked hard on my Bartlome geneology project. I got it mostly done. I am waiting for Andre to proofread one section and then I will get it sent out to his sisters and brother.

Saturday I went to Costco. I was super excited because we got our rebate check and i was ready to spend money that seemed "free". I arrived at Costco and there was no parking. I knew it was a Saturday but oh my goodness. There was NO place to park and hundreds of cars arriving every minute. I snagged one about as far away from the door as possible and made my way in oblivious to why everyone else was there. I was ready to spend my rebate check.

Well it was insane, but I only got a clue why it was insane when I went to grab some toilet paper and there was no toilet paper. How can Costco run out of toilet paper? Then everyone was buying cases of water. Like 2-3 cases. Each. Well, then I got the clue. It was humorous. I bought some water too but only because we needed some for stuff that was not virus related. It probably looked like I was stocking up because of the virus. But every year when I get my rebate check I go stock up on non-food stuff. Lots of bathroom stuff, laundry soap, paper products. So that was the bulk of my shopping cart.

Sometime last week I got an email about Alex's geography bee that is coming up at the end of march. they are no longer having it be a program that everyone comes to. They are doing it online as a test at each school. Alex was going to the state championship geography bee for his school. He was so excited. So now- it is just a test. Kind of boring.

Jaxon has a friend named Judd on a mission in S. Korea. Sometime this weekend we found out that all S. Korea missionaries would be sent home to self quarantine and then go on to other missions in the US. So that was weird. 

Sunday Andre and I sang in church. It was originally supposed to be a quartet but I am not a quartet singer. I told our music coordinator that I would do it, fail, and then she would never have to ask me to do that again. She got another alto to sing with me. I thought it would be better if she just got another alto to sing without me- but whatever. It was hymn 268 which I had never heard of and it talks about missionaries in Greenland and Afric (not a typo).  Also one of the sisters that is serving here is from the Netherlands and knows my nephew Connor from when he served there.

This scene is pretty common. Chase is a reader. Like a READER reader. He loves it. And it is an activity that works well with having a cast on. I have called it a splint, but the doctor called it a cast three times. It is only hard on the bottom but it was fully covered.  Alex is a piano player. Like an amazing piano player. He has enjoyed playing and does not fight practicing. He is getting really good. 


We are always on the lookout for things for Chase to do that are fun and not walking or running or jumping. We found a magic kit. He was showing off some of the tricks. 


We got a package from someone that Jaxon had met in AZ. It was a cool bag with some lotion and some spiritual thoughts. I guessed (and guessed correctly) that it was someone- probably in the retirement ward who was serving the families of the missionaries that she met. It was a really nice gesture.


Then we decided to play our new yard game in the living room. It was dark and cold outside. We made a circle of couches to protect things. 





Tuesday, I worked and it was really busy. It was probably normal busy, but we had one less person. After work I hurried to go pick up Chase and took him to the doctor for a 3:00 appointment. Why do doctors make you wait forever? Chase had x-rays taken, his cast taken off and stitched removed. (Chase had no idea that he had stitches. Its funny what kids don't know. I didn't think to tell him. It seemed obvious). Chase was exhausted by 5:30 when we finally got home. We picked up Wendy's food for dinner. Jaxon called right when we got home. We all got to talk to him for a short time. But Alex and I were shoving our faces and then walking out the door to go to his school orchestra performance. So it was a short visit for me. But everyone else got to talk.  Jaxon thought it would be cool to have Judd come to his mission in AZ.

 Here is Alex's group performing. Alex is in the front row in the middle behind the director's stand.


Then they had 2 Bingham High orchestras,  2 middle school orchestras, and 2 elementary orchestras perform. It was quite impressive.  It was over 300 strings.


While we were at orchestra, Andre and Chase went to the Deacon activity. I think they learned camping/hunting safety.

Tanner had an FBLA event. He said that he would try to get a picture from his friends who took pictures.  This was the state competition. He signed up for his favorite competition. But when he got there he found out that someone git something wrong and he was now only enrolled in a test. The test was given on Wednesday. Also, Tanner was not planning on going to the fbla event on Wednesday since he had a track meet on Wednesday. So, he was there all day Tuesday and didn't compete. But he had fun with his friends. He came home from the FBLA thing and went straight to his Priest activity which I don't know what they did, but I am sure it involved food.

After orchestra I stopped by my moms house and we worked a little bit on family history. It was fun to do and it is always fun to see her.  

I didn't take a picture of Chase's knee while in the doctors office. It was too chaotic. But here is his knee. There is permanent marker from the surgeon. That is all the black/purple stuff. There are two little cuts on each side of his knee with tape on them. Those are the sites of the stitches. He now has his brace on. He is now able to itch his leg. Still not able to reach the end of his leg so he still needs help getting dressed. So that makes him crazy.


Wednesday work was not as busy because we had more people working so we were able to get the warehouse back together. For the 2 weeks previously, everything was moved to new places which is a big mess. And we kept receiving shipments and we had to still find everything when a customer needed it. It was fine, but crazy.  During the day there was an email from the church talking about no large gatherings like stake conferences, General Conference would not have any audience in the conference center, and missionaries would have a virtual MTC experience. Then I picked up Chase. There were no parking spots which is unusual. But i found one that would work to get Chase's wheelchair to. Then I realized that it was parent teacher conference so everyone who had an appointment right after school was parked in the spots.   Then I ran to Tanner's track meet which started at 3 but I didn't get to until after 4:00 because life happens. There is a whole blog of Tanner's track meet. I got home around 5:30 and made dinner and made the track blog. Cause I wanted to share with grandparents who were not there.

Andre was watching the Jazz game while I was making the blog. I sometimes pay attention to the game so I can know who they are playing and such. I was hearing not normal information coming from the announcers. I went to check it out. The game was ready to start. Just about 30 seconds from start time. and the couches, referees, and players all went to the locker rooms. I guess a couple of the players on the jazz team got diagnosed with corona virus right before the game so the NBA suspended the season right then.

We got Chase in bed and then Andre and I were chatting. Andre talked about how at his work all they talked about all day was plans for what to do when/if the corona virus gets bigger. Remember that on Wednesday there were 3 confirmed cases of corona virus in Utah. So he spent his whole day being worried about the virus. So we talked about what we could do to get prepared. This was when it got real to me.

Thursday I picked Chase up from school and had a parent teacher conference meeting with his teacher and of course stopped by the book fair.  After I dropped Chase off at home i went to Walmart. I had some prescriptions to drop off and wanted to get some of the foods that we normally eat. I found shelves and shelves of this...






Then I went home and dropped off the food. Good thing that Alex and tanner were there to help me because I really didn't have time to get everything put away by myself. But wait- why was Tanner home? Track is going to be lame for a little while. I guess Thursday was optional and Tanner went. There were about 7 kids there. So he came home. I guess now all track meets and games and activities for the schools are cancelled. Practices are still not cancelled. 

 I grabbed Chase and we went to physical therapy. Did you know that insurance will only pay for 20 PT visits a year? Well Chase had 20 visits last fall (our insurance year is from july to june). So even though this is a different thing completely. We have no insurance for his knee. While there I started getting lots of texts about church. It looks like Church and all church activities are cancelled. These were all texts from my bros and sis's. So that makes a big difference.

I came home to my family having made a delicious dinner. During dinner I heard about track meets being cancelled/postponed. I heard about Tanner's trip to California with Theatre being cancelled (supposed to be on the 24th). Also Prom is postponed. All the things that Tanner has been excited about this spring.... Lame.  My family had also finished putting away the food I bought.   Then Andre and I rotated food from our storage room downstairs. (I found a few things that were too old). I used to be really really good about the food storage. But life got busier and that got farther down on the list. 

Then the thing that I knew was coming happened. Disneyland is closed. We have a trip planned there in 4 weeks. So this is not a surprise. We tried to warn the kids. But it is still disappointing. Overall, the boys are doing great with all of this disappointment. I don't think I would have been that mature when I was their age. Of course we will go to Disneyland. But now when? It is hard to know

Then Andre organized the boys into playing this fun game that we have not played very much. I think it is called Alchemist.

 I went on a visit as part of my calling and then wrote Jaxon an email. I try to write him 2-3 times a week. usually not much information. But I try to tell him different things I have been studying or some kind of uplifting news.

Friday Alex could not go to the temple because it is closed. Another thing that my boys can't do because of the virus. 

Chase has not had many things cancelled in his life because all of his things got cancelled when he fell down on the ski hill. No volleyball, no playing outside, no going up and down stairs, he can't even change his pants without help. So he is feeling a double whammy. I must say that I am feeling better about moving Disney back farther so that Chase can be more healed. When I was at the Doctor Tuesday, I got more of a feel about what his knee will be able to do in 4 weeks. It was not as much as I initially understood. So I was worried. Then Disneyland closed, the airlines are being flexible about pushing back tickets, so I am feeling better about it.

What I am hoping is that with all these precautions, the virus does not spread very far and everything goes back to normal in about a month. Without the precautions I could see this getting crazy pretty fast.

So that is life with the Corona virus.

We do still need toilet paper. The stores are still out. I can't figure that out.

No comments: