My Sister-in-Law "LaLa" (As my then 2 year old Jaxon called her) has no voice. I thought that this story that I wrote as an email in February 2005 might cheer her up. So you might have heard this story before- sorry.
Last Friday I woke up and I thought, "hey I am really ill". It was weird because I had not been feeling sick until that minute, and I felt Really bad. So Friday I just thought I could ignore it. I get little colds once in a while and they are annoying but they go away. Then Saturday I was worse and Sunday I was- laying on the couch and could not move- flu I think. Then that night my fever broke and I started feeling better. By Monday night I was fine. But the problem was that my voice was GONE. I could not talk from Saturday night until the next Friday afternoon. If the phone rang, I would have to run to the phone practicing my biggest yell just to see if my voice could squeak out a "hello". So the biggest problem was that I could not yell at my kids! So on Thursday I had gotten all the stuff out of the fridge for the kids lunch and my hands were full. Tanner LOVES the fridge and he climbs in and grabs things and will not get out for me to close it. Well he did that again this day. I am standing there trying to get him to move and he is not taking me seriously because all I am doing is squeaking. He was trying to get the eggs out (we have previously had an egg incident- with eggs ending up all over the floor) so I am getting madder and madder. I think to myself, "Maybe if I bang this plastic ketchup bottle on the counter he will hear the bang and move to see what it is." (part of me was also frustrated enough that I just wanted to bang something). So I hit that plastic bottle pretty hard on the counter. My first reaction was, "why did something wet just splatter me?" The whole jar had exploded. There was ketchup everywhere. Tanner did get out of the fridge and both boys were a bit weirded out by the whole thing. They were really good and stayed away from the kitchen as I cleaned it up. I wasn't angry anymore, but I was so bugged that the jar had exploded and I had to clean it up. Jaxon knew that I was bugged so he tried to cheer me up. He said "don't worry mom, you will fix it!" I said to him, “I know I will fix it, that is the problem, I don't want to have to fix it!” There were drops of ketchup everywhere. I was surprised how it got in so many weird places. I thought I had gotten it all cleaned up and I noticed it under the cabinets. Then I noticed drops of Ketchup splattering the door to the laundry room. It just went on and on. That night I noticed ketchup on the ceiling. Anyway, I was ill and I have my voice back mostly. On Friday I noticed that the carbonation from my rootbeer helped my voice be fairly normal so I kept drinking it because we had company coming over. My voice has been back ever since. So I guess rootbeer is the cure-all.
3 comments:
That is an awesome story!! Luckily, my voice was only COMPLETELY gone for part of a day, and I was never as sick as you were!
I can't believe the ketchup exploded on you!!
I just laughed out loud at your story.
Thanks for the "no voice" cure. I will start telling all the sick customers about it. Maybe I can charge them for the info and get rich. And all this because you drank root beer and it helped. You should get a Doctorate degree for this.
Thanks from your pillar of the community
Post a Comment