Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Alarm?

Welcome to the new look in my blog. I was getting tired of the blue and wanted a change.

Yes I have a lot of things that I should talk about to catch you up with my life but I have chosen to talk about smoke detectors.

There are 24 hours in each day. Of those 24 hours Andre and I sleep about 7 of them. Why is it that smoke detectors choose to run out of batteries during the middle of those particular 7 hours? I have never had one start beeping during the day. I have never even had one start beeping at 10:30 pm- right before we go to sleep. They always wait until we have been asleep for a few hours. That way we won't be able to fall back asleep easily.

The other night we were in a sound sleep about 2 in the morning. The smoke detector actually started to go off. That was new- they usually beep every 10 minutes for a few hours. We have never had one actually go off. So you would think that we would jump out off bed and run to see what was causing smoke and grab babies and run outside to save ourselves from a house fire. My reaction was to ask Andre if that was his alarm clock going off. He said no. The alarm only went off for about 20 seconds so we rolled over and tried to go to sleep. I don't think I realized what had made that noise.

About 5 minutes later it went off again. This time we got out of bed and went to see which smoke detector was going off. It is almost impossible to tell which one is the offender when it is quiet. We didn't get there until it had stopped so we stood under the one that we thought it was staring at it until it went off again. Then we ripped it off the ceiling and put it in the garage.

This was the smoke detector right outside the children's bedrooms and was extremely loud. None of the children woke up. However neither Andre or I went back to sleep for hours afterwards. It wasn't until the next day that I realized how lame we were. Andre mentioned that we should have searched the house for smoke since the smoke detector went off! Fire is one of my nightmares but when a smoke detector went off in my house- it never crossed my mind that it could have been a real fire.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, but had there been a fire or smoke, you would have smelled it right where you were standing, or a different one would have gone off, too. So I don't think you're lame.

And I heard a study about how most kids don't wake up to the sound of fire alarms, which could be a bad thing if you left your kids at home with a 12 year old babysitter who fell asleep and didn't hear it. Scary.

Anonymous said...

The same study that Laura mentioned also talked about a new type of smoke alarm that talks instead of beeps. The study showed that in almost every case, the kids woke up when they heard their parent's recorded voice blasted from the detector telling them to get up. Sounds good to me.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you didn't have a fire ,especially since you just finished painting your house and have wonderful carpeting. M