Yesterday we got to see the man. Yes, you know the one. We saw Santa. We also had a bonus. We saw Santa and Mrs. Claus. My work has a day where they invite the ho ho ho couple to the studio and have 10 minute photography sittings with whoever signs up. Because I work there I got to have a sitting for free. This means no waiting in line at the mall, you get a multiple pictures to choose from, and the kids get a few minutes to warm up to this strange man with lots of hair.
Jaxon never had a problem seeing Santa- or anyone really. I really only remember him being sad with strangers a few times and he was in that 9 months age range. Alex was as happy as could be to sit on Santa’s lap this year and last year. He had a little adjustment when I left him but it was usually 20 seconds max. Tanner is a different personality. From the time he was 7-8 months he would scream whenever we left him with a babysitter- for a long time. He didn’t really like to go to anyone else- grandparents were the exception. So I should not have been surprised when he was 18 months and we plopped him on a large, red, bearded man’s lap that he screamed. All I wanted was a picture of the kids on Santa’s lap. I have one for every year- it is kind of a tradition. Our church party had a Santa so I took the kids. After Santa left I looked at my pictures (on my camera). They were blurry. So a few days later I went to the mall during the day right when Santa arrived and got first in line. Tanner screamed again. I took pictures again with my camera and when we got home they were blurry. My camera has a huge problem with low light areas. (Andre recently found a setting that helps a lot during the winter when it is darker). I found my old film camera that never had issues with lighting- bought some film and off we went to find a new Santa. We got decent pictures. Tanner screamed again. But all I needed was that one picture. I think it is funny when you have screaming kids with Santa. But I feel bad that I made him do it three times so I could have a lame picture. He will appreciate it when he is old (as long as he is not in counceling). The next year Tanner was 2 ½. I promised him that all he had to do was stand next to Santa- not on his lap. He tolerated that. The next year he was excited about seeing Santa but again did not want to sit on his lap.
So this year we really got them excited and prompted them with what to ask for (the presents are already purchased you know). I didn’t know how Tanner was going to react. He is so much more mature than last year. He goes to preschool on his own, goes to friend’s houses without problems, and has really grown up. But how would he react with the big, red, hairy man? We walked into the studio. When I told them to go talk to Santa, Jaxon and Tanner both ran to the Clauses and Tanner plopped himself right on Santa’s lap! I walked up and handed Alex to Mrs. Claus- he was totally happy with that. We got all our pictures taken within 30 seconds and that left time for the kids to ask for their gifts and Santa to tell the boys to leave carrots for the reindeer and stuff like that. So that was a success and we got some really cute pictures.
Speaking of pictures: I have been working a lot lately. There is a lot to do at my work and someone has to do it. I usually would work 7-8 hours a week. This last week I probably put in 25-30. This is a lot when you consider that I do this work with my little kid-o’s running around. I have learned something about human nature. People (including me) are procrastinators. For myself I do things on time if: I want to do it, it is fun, or I get something out of it. But if it is doing the dishes or getting the oil changed- it is going to be a last minute thing. I am a picture person so getting pictures taken and printed and in my hand is a priority. Obviously it is not for some people. At my work they take pictures of people all year. It has surprised me how many people don’t order any pictures. They go through all the trouble of getting matching outfits or getting the whole family together, or maybe it is just the yearly pictures of the kids. Then they don’t order any pictures- at all. I just found out why. They all called this week and wanted to get the pictures printed for Christmas gifts. Of course you don’t begrudge people for buying pictures when you work at a photography studio. That is the point. That is what you want after all. But we are taking orders from sittings that took place in May and June. I would think that sometime Between June and November they would think about getting those pictures ordered. But I guess not. So that is why I have been working a lot lately. I just wonder when I am going to finish my Christmas shopping?
2 comments:
Dad says
It was so interesting to remember thru your blog how your kids have handled the santa thing. I am so glad it has smoothed out for Tanner. Oh how I love hearing about my grandchildren after the fact so that I dont have to get any more gray.
Looking back at Santa pictures is a lot of fun. We have a few screaming ones, but a lot of smiling ones too. M
Post a Comment