Sunday, November 27, 2011

Mudroom Re-do

I have an awesome mudroom. I would never complain about that. It is just off the garage and as we walk in we can dump everything in there. The problem is that we DO dump everything in there and there is no real organization to it.

Let me take you on a tour...
This is looking from the kitchen. See the awesome coat hangers and the wire shoe rack? Good for a while but now we have a lot more stuff and no where to put it.


This shows the laundry area and a little bit of the cabinet/countertop area that was ALWAYS a huge mess. Remember we just dump everything in there.

Then we have the bathroom. It is just a little bitty thing, but it fits the need. But this highlites the problem... Cats.

Lots of cats. Cats in the bathroom and cats in the laundry room and cats on the border and weird cat things everywhere.

We have lived here for 7 years and we have had a lot of cats staring at us as we walked in. We always knew that we were going to have to re-do this room but somehow you just live with it.


For those of you who need a bit of a laugh today, read some of the quotes that were on the walls...





OK.... so I have a question. Why would anyone buy this paper? No, wait. Why would anyone design or create this wallpaper? It boggles the mind.


You know what else boggles the mind? Cat light switch covers. Yes. I said cats.



You know what is sad? I lived with these for 7 years and never took them down. It is such a simple fix, but really I never thought about it. That is sad.


So, now you know the problem. Well we have had some water damage behind the washer so we knew it was time to get rid of the cats. Andre had Veterans Day off and thought it might be a good weekend project. I was happy that he wanted to do it but kind of surprised by his timing because I felt like we were already really busy. I knew it would take longer then a weekend. But I was really excited to get a new mudroom.

Well.
That wallpaper? The one with all the cats on it? It was REALLY hard to get off the walls. It took the whole weekend to get the wallpaper off.

Then we spent nights the next week fixing the plasterboard and painting.




Then we had a beautiful newly painted mudroom. We were exhausted and tired of working on the mudroom. But I had great plans. We spent the next few nights putting together our new organization.


Let me take you on a tour...


New lockers!


I cleaned off the counter top mostly.

Newly fixed wall behind the washer.
Bathroom! This is really hard to take a picture of because it is so small. But it is really nice now. It is just plain- but nice.


I am sooo happy about the project. Andre is amazing. I helped, but he did most of the work. I'll tell you what, nothing is easy when it comes to us doing a project. Every thing we did had multiple problems, or caused other problems, or were just not easy. But it is done and beautiful. So far the kids are hanging up their stuff on the specified hangers and their shoes have been put away--- AND there is a place for their backpacks! Amazing.

6 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

AWESOMESAUCE! I love it! I had no idea your cat wallpaper had quotes all over it, lol. I love the lockers. Sigh. Wish I had a place to put some!

Anonymous said...

I thought this blog post should have been called "How to Get Rid of 1,000 Cats".

Andre

Layne Bushell said...

JANELLE! Yowzers....it is AMAZING! I love it...and I don't see beadboard so that means you were able to get that dreaded paper off the walls without having to cover it up! Love the lockers...where can I get some? I need them for snow clothes outside in the garage...

Layne Bushell said...

Janelle! AMAZING. I love it! You and Andre did a beautiful job. I love that the bathroom is just plain nice...it's perfect. And the facti I don't see beadboard means you were able to get that stupid wallpaper off the walls.....way to go!

G'ma Y said...

You two are amazing. Your big project turned out very nice and organized. I love the lockers.

Jefferson said...

Great work! that looks so much better.