Saturday, April 28, 2012

cake how-to

I made a pirate cake for Alex's Pirate party. I could not find the instructions that I have used in the past online so I am making my own. First: bake a 13x9 cake (I like to do a yellow cake for variety). Also bake a chocolate cake in a bread pan. Wrap it in plastic wrap and freeze it. It has to freeze solid so do this the day before.

Next place the cake on your tray like so....

Frost it so it looks like an ocean.
Get out your wrapped chocolate cake. You want to work with this fast because it is so much easier to work with when it is frozen.


I cut mine upside down- so don't do it like me. Turn your cake so the rounded part is the bottom of your ship. But it worked so- whatever.

Cut the corners off of your "ship".

Have the cuts go kind of rounded.



Cut the middles of your ship- kind of like this. Remember that your ship will have the rounded side down so you will have a nice flat surface on the top.  Shape it that way you want to -round the ship as much as you can. Don't cut too much off. 

Place it on your waves however you want.

Now you have to get the brown frosting on the boat without getting it on the blue frosting. Good luck!

Start putting the M and M's on the boat however you want

I put a front thing on the boat. This is brown licorice with a toothpick inside it. I think I did different things on the other ships I made. I don't remember what I did. I also put Twix bars on for cannons. They didn't really look like cannons- but that is OK.

Use skewers and paper to make the sails and flag. 

Six year olds love this cake!

1 comment:

Carie said...

Awesome cake!