Thursday, October 31, 2013

bread skeleton

So, it is Halloween and it is time for the traditional bread skeleton. People think this is amazing. But it is not that big of a deal.  I decided to take pictures of the "making of" so you know that you can make this.

I always use Rhodes Dough. It comes frozen and I put it in the fridge the day before so it is thawed but not risen the next day. I always put aluminum foil on cookie sheets (I use the back of the cookie sheet- I don't know why, I just do)

I start cutting it up with a knife. Skeletons have lots of long skinny bones so I make a bunch of those.

I start laying out the bones. I do it really simply, because this is not an anatomy class. Legs: 2 bones on the bottom, one on top with a knee cap on top of the two halves. Hip: one wide piece of dough that I put holes in and try to stretch out.

Feet: I get some scissors and cut toes. This skeleton only has 4 toes and I am fine with that.

Rib cage: I get a bunch of smaller strips. and lay them out.
Then arrange them on the tray.  Arms, 2 bones on bottom, one on top, with collar bones and the sholder bone. (remember that this bread rises and will fill in a lot.)
 Skull. Get kind of a skull shape and cut a jaw bone off kind of like this. (I used scissors)
Cut teeth and use a small lid thing to cut holes. I used the lid to "I can't believe it's not butter" spray.
Put the holes in and you will need to adjust the nose so it is not quite so round.
The bottom jaw is the same, cut teeth and put it on the tray away from the top half to leave room for rising.
Make some hands and put them near the head....

... because there is not room for them in between the trays where they go. You will move them later.
Chase wants a pumpkin, so I used a little extra to make one.
So here is the finished dough skeleton.  It is nice to have it on cookie sheets because then you can cook it in the oven and plop it on the table to serve it.
I think it would be hard to make a smaller one just because you would not be able to get a lot of detail with the dough raising.


Put it in the fridge until you are ready for it to rise. I let it rise for an hour or so and then cook it according to the directions on the dough package- about 15 minutes if I remember right.

I let it rise for an hour or two and then cook it according to the directions on the dough package- about 15-20 minutes if I remember right.
(dough rising)


Bacon hair
 See how the eyes and nose close up anyway? But you can see the details of the teeth and everything.
 And we are ready to eat!



So, below is a different years skeleton. It looks like it is a lot fatter then the one I made today. Every year is slightly different depending on how much dough I use and the mood I am in I guess. 

Happy Halloween!

1 comment:

Carie said...

I love your bread skeleton tradition!!!