Friday, November 29, 2013

Thanksgiving

I forgot to post about our Thanksgiving last year. I think I have changed the date to put it in the correct order by date. 

We had planned to go to my mom and dads for Thanksgiving and my sister and aunt would be there too. So, a few hours before we left to go to their house, She called us and said that their power had gone off! This is not a great thing when you are roasting a turkey for your family and you have lots of other food you are preparing! 

So it turns out that only about 4-5 houses were affected by this weird power outage. My mom took her turkey across the street to the neighbor who had power.   The power company came out and figured out that it was a transformer that had gone out. (I think it was called that- you know those green boxes that are in people's yards?)

The electric company needed to access that box with a big machine. Of course it was in someone's backyard and the machine could not get through. They could get through my parent's side yard and then take down sections of fence to get to the box. So...

...this was the pre-dinner entertainment:


I didn't get great pictures of the tracker thing because my focus was the boys watching it.  They got the power on temporarily, we got all the food made and during dinner the power went off again. It all worked out.

 Here are some pictures of dinner with no lights. Good thing the sun was on!


We had a lot of fun and then went to see a Thanksgiving movie.



So, I guess the story  of the electricity was this: In the summer one of the neighbors got a new fence and the fencing company had blue stakes come and everything. The fencing company poured cement for the posts and it was touching some of the power cables. Over time it eroded the casing and finally Thanksgiving morning, it corroded the wire.

No comments: