Friday, October 3, 2008

Pear Leather

We made pear leather! We had all those pears from my parents house and I knew they would go bad before we could eat them all. I have great memories of making applesauce (and tomato sauce, and lots of canning projects) when I was younger and wanted my kids to have similar experiences. I did not want to get involved with a big canning project but I wanted to do something. I borrowed the Victorio Strainer that is pictured below and mashed up lots of pears. I will attempt a big canning project next year. (because my life should be easier then... right?)
The kids really did love it. I think it is good for kids to know where real food comes from. Because everything is hard right now (does it get easier?) I tend to just buy stuff from the store. The kids are excited that they made "fruit roll ups". Ours are super sweet and the only ingredient is pears. Alex was grouchy when we took those pictures and would not be in a picture. I got pictures of him with the final result. Tanner said that this is his favorite treat ever.

In other news: Chase turned 8 months old a couple of weeks ago. He really is fun to be with because he loves to play and be held. He just wants to grab everything and the other day he grabbed the frosting of a cake I was holding. It was yummy!
Do you see that drool hanging off his face? Constant.
Note to self: wash baby's face before taking pictures. Last week I found a bunch of containers that I needed to throw away. But before we did that I decided to let the boys be drummers. It was Monday so we did it for our FHE activity. They had so much fun. But it was so loud! These pictures were taken at the beginning. At the end of the activity every pot, lid, colander, cookie sheet etc... I had were all over the living room. We had a couple of broken utensils but everyone was happy. Even Chase liked it!








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pear leather and a pot and pan band. What fun memories you are making for your boys.

Anonymous said...

It looks like fun!! I also have great memories of canning and doing other similar things when I was a kid. Pot and pan band... Do you have hearing loss?

Chelita said...

YUMMY! That is one of my favorite memories as well! I loved seeing all the different parts of the canning process! You're kids will always remember that. Speaking of which---Your boys just keep getting cuter and cuter!

Robin said...

Pear leather? Yum! How did you dry it? Do you have a dehydrator or can you do it in the oven? We have 2 apple trees and a golden plum tree that we haven't fully taken advantage of yet, but you've given me ideas for next year!