Sunday, September 28, 2008

Ten

10 years

That is a lot of days. 3650 days to be exact. If you think of it as a collection of days it takes a long time. But if you aren’t paying attention-weeks and months pass you by, and then wham! 10 years have passed.

The other day a friend of mine talked about what she had been doing ten years ago. I got to thinking about what I had been doing. I thought about how I was dating Andre. We were not engaged and had not talked about getting married, but Andre was buying a house. I took that as a good sign. Then I started thinking about it even more and realized that it was exactly 10 years ago on September 26th 1998 that Andre had bought our first house. It was Friday (the 26th) when I had these thoughts and I called Andre at work to verify the date. That was weird to think that 10 years was so long ago, yet didn't seem to take that long to happen.

I was working for American Stores. I did graphic design and actually knew how to do computer stuff. I worked in a skyscraper in Salt Lake. I thought I was cool to wander the city during my lunch break and get a feel for the city. I was living in North Salt Lake in an apartment complex with two room mates that I have lost track of now. I was attending a singles ward and I had a lot of good friends that I have lost contact with as well. Andre had taken a year off between his Bachelors and his Masters degree. So after work and weekends we could hang out.

That summer Andre spent a lot of time looking for houses. I got to go with him to look- and I took that as a good sign too. I helped him move his meager belongings into his new house. All he owned was what had previously fit in one bedroom of his parent’s home. Most of the rooms were empty. The master bedroom was bright pink. After he moved in, we went shopping. He bought appliances, couches, silverware. I didn’t really volunteer any of my belongings until December when he finally proposed. I still say that he proposed so that he could get me to help him paint the bedroom a different color.

Andre and I talked about 10 years ago. Then we talked about 10 years from now. We will be 45 years old. We will have kids from 10 to 18 years old. We will have a huge grocery bill. Jaxon will be going off to college. Tanner will be wishing he could drive. We will have a deacon, teacher, and priest in our family. Hopefully everyone will be sleeping through the night, and it won’t take 20 minutes to get every one’s shoes on.

Time flies!

3 comments:

Amy said...

I love this post! It makes me want to cherish this time..., I don't want to be thinking about 10 years from now!

Anonymous said...

Wow how time flies!!

Anonymous said...

Time goes by too fast! Your kids won't be sleeping through the night in 10 years - they'll be teenagers and will be up all night. And you'll be up too... worrying about them. They'll probably be sleeping through the day though. lol

Carie