Thursday, September 11, 2008

Weird Day

Monday was a weird day. Lots of things happened that don’t usually happen.

It all started when I woke up at 6:30 (that is a usual occurrence). Andre told me that Tanner had been up in the night throwing up. We have just been off track for three weeks. Why does he have to get sick 6 hours before school starts? So he stayed home from school. He was sick but not too bad. We did not have any more throwing up events- thank goodness. Did you notice that Andre told me that Tanner had thrown up? I slept through it all. That is amazing. I never sleep through anything. What a great dad to take care of throw up in the middle of the night! I had been excited to do a couple of things with only 2 kids during the day. It turns out I could not leave my house. One of these years I will get to do what I want (need) to do.

At 12:30 Jaxon called me from school. As soon as I saw that it was the school calling I thought that he was going to say that he had thrown up. Nope. He was stung by a bee during recess. Poor kid! Bee stings really hurt. He said that he could go back to class.. An hour later he called again saying that it still hurt and that he could not do his work. So I had to go over there and assess the situation. It took a while to get there because I had two sleeping babies. I called about 15 people in the neighborhood before I found someone home who did not have sleeping babies themselves. I ended up bringing him home. He was fine but he was having a hard time concentrating. (Last Saturday Tanner got stung by a bee and today Alex got stung by a bee. What is up?)

Jaxon has been having fun with pen pals. We joined an email pen pal program on line. About 4 or 5 boys have picked his profile and asked to be his pen pal. We have done some research on the areas that they live and stuff. In the process I discovered something cool. Andre says that everyone knows about it. But I didn’t. It is Google Earth. It is a program that has satellite pictures of the whole earth. I have had so much fun with this. I typed in addresses of people I know in Spain or England and have seen their houses. I have looked at my siblings homes that I have never been to. I have seen the Great Barrier Reef, the Pyramids, and the Volcanoes in Hawaii. This is not a good thing for me. I don’t have time for more time wasters, I need to wash the dishes and stuff. So Jaxon has a pen pal in Australia, Oregon, California, and one that has not told us where he is from. He is so excited about this but does not know what to say. I told him that I would type the letters, but that I would only type the words he said. He just says, “I don’t know”. I told him that I do not need an 8 year old pen pal so he better think of something. So this is a new thing for us to do, but it is a good thing.

Sometimes Alex is wonderful. He does exactly what he is supposed to do. I ask him to do something and he says, “go-kay”. He can be so fun to be with. Not this day. All morning he was bossy and intense. He wanted what he wanted-right now! He woke up from his nap crying. It was really like a tantrum. I don’t know why. No one was in there bugging him. But something made him mad. He did not calm down for an hour. That was exciting. He finally calmed down when I made him some Mac and Cheese. I asked him what snack he wanted and he picked that. It was not exactly what I wanted to do right then. But he was happy to get mac and cheese. It takes about 10 minutes to make it but Alex (pronounced Ax by a certain 2 year old) wanted it immediately. He asked for it about every 25 seconds. When I finally put it in front of him he said NO and started getting upset. (Ahhh! I am still waiting for my instruction manual for my kids.) He calmed down quickly and started eating right away. I still don’t know what made him mad. Because he ate this right before dinner he wanted nothing to do with eating dinner with the family. This is weird because he loves to sit with us, he loves to say the prayer, and he loves spaghetti. But he just kept running in the room and saying hi and running out. Whatever, he had already eaten. I was not going to start another tantrum by forcing him to sit by us. Well, we discovered that he had drawn all over the walls with a pencil. This was not a few scribbles. This was a masterpiece, all down the hall, around the corner… We still don’t know if we found it all. I am SO glad it was a pencil. We just got out the handy dandy Magic Eraser and it came off so easily. You can tell we have 4 kids. Jaxon never even held a pencil unless we were at the table with paper and I watched him every second. My older boys are constantly leaving pencils, crayons, markers everywhere. I tell them to clean them up as soon as they are done, but they don’t listen to me. I am just their mother you know. Alex has had lots of these naughty experiences that his older brothers didn’t have just because he has older brothers. I don’t even want to know what Chase is going to get into.

Alex gets obsessed with different movies. He loved Finding Nemo for a month or two. Then it was Cars and McQueen. Now he changes more often. This week it is a funny little show called Spot’s Magical Christmas. Alex loves it. He asks for it all day. On Monday we watched it so he could calm down from his tantrum. Jaxon has been around when this show is playing so he has had Christmas on his mind. After the show got over he started up. He has not done this since last Christmas and I hoped we could make it a few more years. “Mom, just admit it- parents are Santa aren’t they?” This is being said in front of both his little brothers as loud and obnoxious as he could be. He has been asking this since Kindergarten when one of the kids there said something. I have been trying ever since then to not straight out LIE. I tell him that if he does not believe, Santa does not bring him anything. “Just admit it mom!” Well I decided that was it. I told him privately that I thought he was old enough to help us. I asked if he would help us make Christmas fun for his brothers. He was so excited to help us with the Santa mystery. This kind of conversation does not happen every day- Just in the middle of a weird day.

I know that there were a few more weird things but I don’t remember them anymore. That is probably a good thing. They were probably lame and I blocked them out. I only like to remember the good weird things.

1 comment:

John and Laura said...

That was an awesome post. Thanks for the laugh.

"They were probably lame and I blocked them out. I only like to remember the good weird things."

That was my favorite line.