Alex’s favorite show right now is Dumbo. (Thanks Jill!) He does not say Dumbo- he says “Dummo”. I was trying to teach him the B sound in the word. I was saying, “Dum-BUH, Buh, Buh- oh.” Or something like that. He said, “Buh-Buh-Buh- Dummo” We have the same issue with the word drink. He says “wink”. When I work with him- the best I get is “duh, duh, duh- wink.”
“Alex I am going to lay down. Will you play with your toys for a little while?” “It’s morning mom- wake up!” (it was actually 2:00) “I am not asleep I am just going to rest on this couch. Your toys are right there” “The sun is on, open your eyes.” “Mommy feels kind of yucky today.” “No you don’t” “Yes, I think I am sick.” “No, you not sick, you are mommy.”
Alex always refers to himself with the word “me” or his name. So he might say “Me go outside?” He is still young and finally being able to be understood so I am not worried about these quirky things. But as a parent you do start working on them eventually. Yesterday Alex said, “Me get on the horse” (the riding bouncing horse toy). I said to him, “Alex will you say ‘I want to get on the horse’?” He looked at me with a very puzzled expression, “You too big mommy.” “I don’t want to get on the horse Alex, will YOU say I want to get on the horse?” “No, mommy you a gwown up and this horse for kids.” This went on for a while and then I gave up. He can say “Me get on the horse” if he wants to.
When your child points to something and says “Me want that” don’t you usually give it to him? (I am not referring to something dangerous or against the rules of course). We will usually grant Alex’s request when he says “me want that”. When we do so, all of a sudden he will start screaming, “no”, and fall into tantrum mode. I know- we are mean parents. We realized that Alex never says don’t. So he meant to say “me don’t want that” but he missed the most important word. We are really working on him saying don’t. He will repeat what we say, but he does not say it on his own. But he has trained us to ask him if he does or does not want it instead of just giving it to him.
Alex says these things all the time. They don’t always make sense, but they are cute.
“Happy Birthday our house.” (ever since Chase’s b-day)
“Mom, fun at our house.”
“Biggest hug”
“Wink and a treat.”
“Go home.”
“Play games with me!”
“Me watch a show.”
“Go to zoo- take a shortcut to zoo.”
“Mom, fun at our house.”
“Biggest hug”
“Wink and a treat.”
“Go home.”
“Play games with me!”
“Me watch a show.”
“Go to zoo- take a shortcut to zoo.”
Alex loves helping me make dinner- cakes, whatever. He loves to feel grown up. So He was bored one day and I decided to make cookies for him. He loves to hold the measuring cups after I fill them and then he dumps them in the bowl. We had everything in the bowl and I went to
get the last ingredient. I heard Andre yell something and
turned around. Andre had walked into the room at the
very second that Alex started dumping the entire box of baking soda into the bowl. Oops!
get the last ingredient. I heard Andre yell something and
turned around. Andre had walked into the room at the
very second that Alex started dumping the entire box of baking soda into the bowl. Oops!
Alex is very sweet and loving. Lately he is sooo tired because of his refusal to take naps. So he falls asleep in a lot of funny places. He is totally asleep at lunch in this picture!
5 comments:
I'm glad moms can interpret what kids mean, regardless of what they actually say. And what would you do without all that help in the kitchen? He's adorable!
Oh, we MUST have naps at our house or mom would go crazy. But, you know, falling asleep at lunch works too, don't ya think?
First things first- I love the pictures! They show so many of his sides (which is hillarious!) I love that you were able to figure out that he meant that he didn't want it! We must be related because I seem to always to leave out relevent information! :)
Another thing that you missed Janelle that Alex always says to me when something is broken is "Dad, you fix that in the morning" , no matter what time of day it is.
Andre
Alex is a sweetie. We love him.
Post a Comment