
On May 7, 2007 I told the story of how Andre and I met. I don’t know how to make one of those linky things (technically challenged). If you wanted to go back and read it you can go to my archive and look it up.
So a couple of years ago when I wrote that last post we left off at a date we went on the summer of 1996. We went to a movie or something and we had a lot of fun. The thing that I remember most about that date is that I learned that some of the things that I had heard about him at his mission farewell were totally wrong. I had heard that he was the oldest and had five sisters. I also heard that he was a concert pianist. Andre told me that he did have 5 sisters but that 3 of them were older. He said that he can play the piano a little but he quit when he was about 9. I must have made it all up.
We each had a year of college left and we went to different schools. Andre lived with his family and they had moved to Kaysville. He commuted every day to Salt Lake and he worked a lot as well as school stuff. I lived, worked, and went to school in Provo. So we really didn’t see each other. It seems like I called a couple of times to talk. I asked him when he had a concert because I wanted to hear him sing. He sang with the A cappella choir at the U and he invited me to his Spring Concert. So my friend Holly and I drove up to see him sing. Afterwards I found his parents- I had really only seen them at his mission stuff so I didn’t really go up and talk to them much. The interesting thing was that there was a girl there with Andre’s parents and she was talking about how she “thought this concert was better then last night’s concert and Andre did so well…” I was dying. I was embarrassed that I had basically invited myself when he obviously had a girlfriend. Who else would go to both concerts? I waited to say hi to him and then left feeling stupid. I know that I wasn’t going to call him again but he called me at some point. I didn’t come right out and ask if he had a girlfriend but I asked who she was and he said it was “no one, just a friend”. Later when we were dating I asked about that and he told me that she was basically stalking him. She wanted to be his girlfriend but he wasn’t interested.
Both of us finished up our bachelors degrees in August 1997. I moved home and got a job with American Stores being a graphic designer. Andre took a year off of school to just work full time (instead of going to school full time and working 30 hours a week). He also was living at home in Kaysville.
Even though Andre and I had gone on a few dates and hung out a bit. I consider November 8th 1997 our “first date”. Do you realize how long ago that was? I am getting so old! So in honor of November 8th I am writing this post.
On November 7th I had to go drop something off at my friend’s house and then I was going to the airport to pick up Holly. On my way back from my friend’s house I got in a car accident. It totaled my car. At first it seemed that I only had a gash on my hand to get stitched up and a concussion- from where my head hit the windshield and broke it. (More injuries showed up later but I can talk about that in a later post- if I remember to) I mention this accident because Andre had called the week before and asked me out on a date- for the 8th.
So on the day of the date, I was exhausted and not feeling great. I had always wanted to watch him play soccer so originally I was going to go to his game then go on the date. I called him up and told him about the accident. I told him that I was not going to go to his game but we could still go out. So he picked me up and his friends met us at my house. They were all living in Kaysville but since Andre’s game was near my house and I was in Sandy that is where they met. We went to Ruby’s Diner which is up Millcreek Canyon. I was feeling ok, but I had a wrist brace and I am not so sure I made perfect sense. I enjoyed myself. After dinner we went to Desert Star Theatre and watched a play that I can not remember much of. I just remember that I couldn’t clap much because of my wrist and there was a lot of clapping involved. Then we went to Denny’s and got hot chocolate. I definitely had a headache by then but it wasn’t extreme and it was fun being there.
So that was a long story to explain that twelve years ago today was the beginning of great things.
5 comments:
That was fun to read. I always wonder how people met and got together. I remember you stayed over at our house a few times when you were dating Andre. I thought it seemed like such a grown up thing to do, like date people and stay at your aunts house after and stuff. That is my 2 cents to add to the story.
Cute picture of both of you. Thanks for sharing the story. I'm glad we could be part of your dating story. It doesn't seem that long ago to me.
So glad that you survived the accident and went on to marry such a great guy and have 4 cute kids.
I loved reading about your beginnings! That was cool to read. Thanks for sharing!
That was fun to read. I was in SLC the last week of October, just a week ago, at a genealogy seminar & one night at dinner, we all told how we met, dated & married our hubbies. One of the ladies from Minnesota, who is not a member of the LDS Church, couldn't believe our stories. We just told her that when the Lord says it's right, we take His word for it.
Post a Comment