Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Randomness

We watched the superbowl. This is the only pro football game we watch all year. But my kids (Tanner) really gets into it. The other kids barely make it to half time. But this year was special. We celebrated Grandma's birthday and had her party, THEN we had a superbowl party. TWO parties! the kids were excited! Tanner requested that we have a superbowl cake. He knew just what he wanted. He wanted it to look just like a football field with Teddy Graham cookies look like the players. Yep, I forgot to buy Teddy Grahams. So we improvised and used Lego guys. Valentines day was fun. The kids all celebrated last week. My little boys had parties on Thursday. The older boys school has all of their parties on Fridays- so their parties were last Friday. As far as I was concerned I was done with Valentines stuff. We did have a yummy Valentines dinner on Sunday. I made Jaxon's favorite meal. But... he got sick right before dinner and didn't enjoy it. That is the way life is isn't it?
-
I am the room mom for Tanner's class so I got to plan the party and be there to take pictures. We made animal Valentines bags. This is Tanner making his Octopus bag. The animals were all made of hearts.

Mass chaos as the kids delivered their cards to their friends.

The class picture with all the kids and their bags. It really is such a cute class.


What would you do if you came home and found this note on your door?


Jaxon was "sick" yesterday. So he stayed home from school and when I went to do some errands. It was noon when I got home, the little boys were starving for lunch and I had tentative plans so I wanted to hurry and eat so I could leave again. Jaxon had decided he wanted to help me make dinner. He wanted to surprise me when I got home. He really is a sweet kid- but red jello? Can you think of anything messier- Anything?
-
I opened the door into the kitchen and he was sitting there waiting for me. He had moved all the kitchen chairs to make a detour around the mess he made. He had wiped it up- but he does not really have the cleaning skills to clean such a big mess.
-
I guess he made the jello just fine. I talked to him about how he was not allowed to use the stove to even boil water when I was gone. A rule he knows and has always followed. He said, "I didn't boil water- I just used hot water. " His version of hot from the tap is barely warm. So that would be why the jello was so grainy.
-
So there was a big sticky spot of red stuff on the floor in front of the fridge. I took a deep breath and tried really hard not to yell at him. I succeeded mostly. I did raise my voice a few times in the next hour as we cleaned up. But it was an accident and he was really sorry. I had to tell him to stop saying he was sorry because it was annoying me. As we were mopping and wiping it up, he told me what he had done. He carried the pan over tried to put it in the freezer, but the pan didn't fit so he walked back to the counter and put it down and then went to the fridge and made room for it. He picked it up again and it spilled all over this second time. So he put it in the fridge anyway and closed the door. Then he freaked out because he knew that he would be grounded for a year and that I would be so mad. (I was mad- I just tried hard to understand not to scream at him). He started wiping it up. I found one washcloth that was jello-y and wet. That would be why it didn't really get clean. Then he had to sit around and wait for me to come home. He made a ton of "Wet Floor" signs, he moved all the chairs so we would not walk in it, then he waited in the garage for us for a while until he got cold. I was gone for one hour total.
-
So as he was telling me about how it spilled, I got worried about the fridge. I opened it... Yep, red jello all over. Jaxon was so surprised to see that. I guess it hadn't spilled when he put it in. He had used a big cookie sheet to put the jello in. (Not the smartest idea.) There was something at the back of the fridge shelf so the pan didn't fit all the way in. When he closed the fridge door- the pan was tipped up and the remaining jello spilled all over the fridge. We got to take out the shelves and drawers in the fridge and clean them. It was hard to get it all out of the little crevices of the fridge. Jaxon got to use a scrub brush to try to get it all off. It was a lot of fun.
-
Then we pulled the fridge out and cleaned under the fridge. That was when I found evidence that we have mice in our house. I was freaking out. I was glad to know, but I was and am disgusted by it. I disinfected everything then put poison down and pushed the fridge back. This last step was down without Jaxon knowing. He has a tender heart and is against killing ANYTHING- even bugs. I hope he never hears about PETA. About 3-4 weeks ago Andre said he saw something in the kitchen that could have been a mouse. I spent that day cleaning up the kitchen- making sure there was no food on the pantry floor, cleaning really well so there would be nothing for mice. But we never saw anything else, so I thought he had imagined it. Nope.
-
Of course during all this, the little kids started complaining that they wanted lunch- So I had to make an even bigger mess to do that. Then I had to do laundry with all the towels and washrags that were dirty. Then I got to sweep and mop the floor. It was about 2 when I was completely done cleaning and had my lunch. I was not planning on doing any of that work so I was ready to leave and be done with kids. Good thing Joey came over and watched my kids.
-
Andre and I finally got to see Harry Potter. It was so good! It could have gone on for 5 hours and I wouldn't have even noticed. It was so enthralling that I didn't even notice that it had been 2 1/2 hours. I was mad when it finished. We went to a 4:30 show so Joey wouldn't be out too late since today is a work day for her. I came home just in time to get kids in bed. Chase instantly started the whining and lameness. "I don't want these jamies, I want nothing, I don't have a shirt! Get me a shirt!". "Get me a drink!", "I don't want a drink" I want food!" "I don't want food!" You know the whole game I have to play... "Chase, this is my drink (in a spongebob sippycup) and my food so do not eat it!" Then he gobbles it up. I only bring this up because Joey said that he was an angel and didn't say any mean things until I walked in the door. That is just life. Kids are always the worst for their parents. (Just for the record- I don't let him talk that way to me. If he doesn't say please, he doesn't get it. If he is mean, he goes to time out.) I am hoping he turns 4 really soon. My 4-year-olds turn into angels. I really like them.
-
So that was my day yesterday. Oh yeah, Andre and I watched The Last Air Bender. I really wanted to see that when it came out too. Two movies in one day! Awesome!

4 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Was the Last AirBender good? I loved Harry Potter too! Soo good. It really could have kept going on and on and on.

Sorry about the jell-o mess-- totally sweet to try AND to make detour signs. . . but yes so frustrating.

Carie said...

That red jello story was totally entertaining!!! Sorry, but I was groaning for you and secretly laughing. Isn't being the mom so much fun? I LOVE Jaxon's detour sign! He's a sweet kid. Tons of praise for you for not yelling.

And I agree with you about turning 4. I love age 2, could deal with skipping age 3 and just go straight to 4!

Joey said...

I really couldn't think of anything messier than red jello. Good thing you don't have carpet near the fridge!

Halls Huddle said...

Oh, I feel for you with that red jello- such a bummer! What a good mom not to yell and scream. You're my hero.