Friday, September 23, 2011

So long, farewell, Auf Wiedersehen, adieu

Summer.

I love it.

It is over.

Today is the first official day of fall. I really consider the first day of school the last day of summer. Summer in its definition means "no school".

So I am in mourning. I will miss the lazy- sleep in mornings, the playing in the sand and water, exploring different trails, lakes and rivers, or going somewhere/ anywhere, so the kids will be out of the house. I will miss doing nothing all day and being in pajamas when Andre gets home from work. I will not miss the constant begging to play the computer and or wii and or watch TV constantly.

I mean, can you chase ducks into a lake while the sun sets in December?
No, the sun sets at 2:30 in the afternoon in December. Not to mention the fridgid temperature, the ice on the lake, the lack of ducks..... you get it. (Well, some of you in Arizona might be able to do this. Well, I stick my tongue out at you- because that is all I can do.)

There is something magical about staring out across a lake while dipping your toes in the water.



Can you get this dirty in the winter? Um, I guess you can, but it wouldn't be fun. This dirt is from having fun hiking in mud. The boys were so mad when we made them stop hiking in mud.
Summer... I will miss you.


We did a lot of fun things right before school started. Here are a few of the highlights.
No, my children did not become newscasters. We went to the Children's Museum. We had not gone here before this year. It turns out that it is really fun!






The kids just ran from one thing to another. I didn't even see the older two kidsfor hours. This is an awesome activity to do when it is hot outside.



We really enjoy the mountains, streams, dirt, camping and hiking this summer





We went to "This is the Place Park". This is a very fun place. We hadn't been here before either. I definitely recommend this. We had a great time.

Panning for gold.
Riding a mini train around a lake overlooking the Salt Lake valley.
Riding a trolley.
Exploring a boat.


My children take after their dad. They LOVE ice cream. What kid doesn't love ice cream? Heck, I love ice cream too. Here are some more pictures of kids enjoying summer.



Have I mentioned that Thanksgiving point has a "tower cone"? Well, for 2 dollars your kids can eat an ice cream cone bigger then their head. This is a once a summer treat for them. They begged me every time we were there for a tower cone. School started the next day and I agreed to the tower cone. They were so excited that I actually let them try to finish it all by themselves. They were sick afterwards.

6 comments:

Cathryn said...

Great summer memories!! I agree with you, it's hard to say goodbye to summer. I'm so impressed that you know how to spell Auf Wiedershen!

Layne Bushell said...

look at all you did this summer. Me, I just did a play. Oh wait, so did you. I did nothing else....

So where were those hikes? They look fun. I want to do several this fall...

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Aw. . .sniffle! Such awesome memories. I'm trying to have a good attitude about the cooler weather. . . trying. . . trying. . .

Carie said...

Aww, I'm glad you like summer so much. Not me - I love fall! I jump for joy when summer is over. I miss my kids, but I don't miss the horrible KS summer weather. You need to frame 2 of those pics - the one of all 4 boys by the lake at sunset and the one of all 4 hiking. I love them both!

Chelita said...

holy cow! So much fun. Your kids will always remember these great times... esp those icecream cones! haha

G'ma Y said...

You have very lucky kids. They have parents that take them so many places. I love the pictures. yes you need to enlarge and frame the ones that Carrie talked about. Fall has a lot of good things about it. Remember the piles of leaves to jump in and this fall we will have a wedding.