Saturday, September 29, 2012

Tanner's Room

My brother and sister in law mentioned that they were re-doing their boys rooms for their birthdays. Well, I tend to steal ideas and this was a great idea to steal.

We had noticed that Tanner's room was in need of being painted. The house is 16 years old and his walls were painted poorly back then and never painted again. They just looked dirty. His birthday was at the end of August. He decided that he did want his room redecorated. I asked him if he could wait until mid September for his present because we would have more time then.

We decided to do a fun paint job. This is the before:
Now, this is after we had taken all his posters and decorations off the walls. So it looks mighty boring. BUT, As you can see, it really looks like the seventies. Andre says that I just don't like brown furniture. Well, he is right.
This is looking the other direction. This is really picked up. We had to remove junk for days before we actually got to start re-decorating.
I just want to point out the 3 inches of dust on his furniture. Oh, I mean, don't look at it.

Well, Tanner had definite ideas about the color scheme of his new room. Light blue (a darkish light-blue) and orange. I thought that was weird- but it turns out that it is pretty cool.

Then we went online for some inspiration. We found a cool surfer room- And guess what? It was blue and orange! Perfect.

So after we emptied the room and painted the wall and ceiling white, Then we had to get creative. My awesome neighbor who has everything, let me borrow her over-head projector. So I traced this cool surfer that we found online onto the wall. Then we had to paint about 3-4 coats of paint. That took a long time. But it looks cool. 



And now as of 9:00 tonight.... the room is DONE.

Ta da!



We hung the surf boards on the walls today!  They are just painted plywood. Tanner was worried about where he would keep his weapons since we moved the big old entertainment center out of his room. We moved this smaller chest in. It is lower and smaller and looks better in there. Plus it holds his weapons. (that kid has way too many light sabers and Nerf guns for his own good.)

We went shopping looking for anything orange to be a sham or pillow or some kind of orange for the bed. We found orange sheets with matching pillow cases. It is funny to have such bright orange sheets. (no picture of sheets, just the pillow cases.) His bed spread is his old one turned over. Then we gave Tanner a new orange lamp on a painted orange and white table (used to be 70's brown- now cool again.)

I bet you are wondering what the lamp looks like when it is turned on....

It is pretty over powering. And it turns everything orange. In other words, it is cool.

Oh yea, I painted the drawer things on the side table too. This was when Andre told me I had issues with brown things. I did not paint the whole thing, I was worried about that. But I can always change my mind!

Looking the other direction, We got new dark blue curtains and moved one book shelf out. We put a smaller surf board there. Alex wants to move his bed down there. (Alex has major issues about having the smallest room in the house- we are hoping this will appease him. He will still have his stuff in his room, but sleep down there.) Tanner does not mind sharing at all. His room is huge you know.


Just to show the brown desk that I was SO tempted to paint. I didn't paint it (But I can always change my mind), but we got blue boxes to keep all of his junk- oh I mean very important objects- in. I found the palm trees that decorated the jungle room that we used to have and stuck them in there. What do you think? Palm trees/ surfing.... Does it work? Jaxon does not get it.

So, that is it. This was a pretty big project. And that orange is pretty bright.
But I love it. Tanner loves it too. That is all that matters I guess.

Oh ya, I am glad I have pictures, because this room will never be this clean again!

4 comments:

Cathryn said...

Very fun decorating idea! I like the surfer and beach theme. And the palm trees definitely fit in!! This is a huge bedroom - lucky boy!

G'ma Y said...

I love Tanner's room. Whenever I am missing the beach, I will have to come over and have a nap in his room!

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

Absolutely love how it all turned out! I am so impressed. it belongs in Better Homes and gardens as a feature!

Carie said...

It looks GREAT! I wanted to do blue and orange in Michael's room, but he wouldn't go for the orange. Be grateful that Tanner asked for it because I think orange and blue are awesome for a room. Great job on everything!