Tuesday, March 12, 2013

update

Last we spoke of my foot, I showed you my foot in the doctors office one week after the surgery. It was gross. I decided to take some pictures of my foot with the x-fix still in but cleaned up a bit. 

 You can also see my hammertoe toes. They are straight. My foot is a little swollen here but it is better now.
In this second picture you can see one of the pins sticking up out of the bar. It seems like those pins were sticking out a half an inch out of my foot- maybe 3/4 inch.


So I have been walking around for 3-4 weeks now. I don't really go many places. Church mainly. And I went to my friends house last week. I started driving a bit. Just to pick up my preschooler and once to church. To drive, I have to wear my boot to the car. sit down, put on a driving shoe (one that lets my ankle rotate) then drive. Then when I get there, I have to put my boot back on. But at least I can do something. I have hated everyone having to do everything for me. (I appreciate it immensely- but I hate it not being able to do my share.) So I have worked up to doing a lot of things. I was feeling good.


I went  to the doctor yesterday. I was hoping that he would take the x-fix out. He did! He also told me that he wants me to use crutches now. So that most of the pressure is not on that foot. Do you how that limits me? Lets see, If I have crutches in both of my hands, how do I carry anything? Emptying the dishwasher, answering the phone. It is just lame. So I compromised with myself. I am using one crutch. That way, the pressure is off the foot, and I can do somethings. So, like I said yesterday on facebook,  I feel like I am going backwards in order to go forward. I am trying not to be frustrated because it is great to have the x-fix off. It really irritated my foot. I still have weird tenderness and stuff but it doesn't hurt much.

So... here are the new pictures of the foot without the metal bits sticking out!  You can see 4 holes in my foot. You also see my huge big toe. It has some lumps that it didn't use to have. Hopefully that will go away. But it is straight!
It is a bit gross. So don't look if you don't want to. The yellow color is from the anti bacterial stuff they always put on things. My skin is also having issues. It tends to come off im places. But if you look past that. You can see the cool places that the pins were in my foot.
I have other places that I have scars, but they are mostly healed up. The pin holes are just now starting to heal.

Speaking of pins...  I had four of these in my foot. These are huge!  Two and a half inches long -really? How big is my foot? I saw the x-ray and the pins went all the way through the bone, not just a little way through. and it stuck out a half inch. So it was in my foot about 2 inches. That just amazes me. It was really supported. That is why I have to use crutches now- it is not as supported as before.

Look at that pin. It just astonishes me.

They other thing is that I have to go to physical therapy for my big toe. I have to get it to move better. I can get it moving up just fine, but I can not get it to go down at all. So I have to figure out when and how to get to physical therapy. That will be fun. I am assuming that driving will be the same and even easier without the x-fix, but the physical therapy place is across the valley.  I don't know if I'm up for that yet. I guess I'll find out.

Sorry that is so gross. But some of you might find it interesting. Maybe, or maybe not. Maybe I'll come up with something else to blog about someday.

We are doing things, but not taking many pictures. I take soo many pictures during the year I always take less in January-March. But this year? I think I have taken 30 pictures. for 3 months. Half of those pictures are of my foot. It has been a bit boring around here. (Meaning: I am bored, Andre has way too much to do, the boys are doing their normal stuff meaning not more bored then normal. Chase may be bored because I am not taking him places like I used to.)

2 comments:

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

I find this all so fascinating like I'm a doctor or something. And yet it makes me squirm and whimper "ouch" a lot, too.

Layne Bushell said...

Not gross, I think it's totally cool! Love it! I've been too crazy busy. And I need to help you more. Can I say, I hate PM kindergarten. It's really put a damper on things! I will call tomorrow :)