Monday, September 30, 2013

Extracuricular

As parents we all make choices for our kids. We want to best for our kid-o's. Who knows if the choices we make for them turn out to be the best, but we try.  These are some of the choices we have made for our kids:

We have decided that we want them to take piano lessons, so that is not an option. -it turns out that they are all really talented.

The boys are involved with scouting after they turn 8, and it is not an option for them.It turns out that they really like it.

Then we want them to be active and learn that couches and screens are not the only thing in this world. So we let them pick different sports and activities to be in. - It turns out that they think that couches and screens are the most important things in the world.

So we have them in activities. The problem is that we have four kids. That means they have four sets of activities.

When the kids walk in the door from school the craziness starts! I seriously have a spreadsheet detailing all the stuff we have to do. If not, I forget something.
 

Monday
I drive Jaxon accross the valley to go to a trombone teacher. He likes playing the trombone and he is good at it. But, we don't know how to play the trombone and neither does his band teacher at school. So we are doing lessons (not a permanent thing) to bump up his learning.
(this is an old photo of a trombone concert that Jaxon was in last year- not his at his current lessons

Alex is on a fun soccer team with a lot of kids in the neighborhood. Alex is getting better every week and likes it a lot. The fun thing is that Andre is the coach. So every Monday, Andre spends and hour with TWELVE, 7 year olds and teaches them to not fight, to stop wrestling or singing or being crazy, to pay attention,  how to play soccer. (sometimes he comes home with a headache.)
 

Tuesday
This is a crazy day. I am a Webelos leader. This is the 10 year old boys cub scout group. I have a 10 year old boy so that is fun to have my son in my group. So every Tuesday we have some kind of activity. 

At about the same time, my 10 year old boy (who is supposed to be in my cub scout den) has lacrosse practice. He is liking it even though he has bruises all over his arms constantly. Have I mentioned that this is just like football but with sticks?

At about the same time as that, Chase has soccer practice. He is a black ninja this year. I am amazed at his improvement this year. I think he has always had the skills, but he is too silly to stop falling down, or to follow through with where the ball is going. He has some games where the silliness prevails, but others that he can focus and play really well.

Then, to finish the night, Jaxon has his Scouts. This is a picture of him getting his Life award. He only has one more level until Eagle! so maybe a year and he will be done. Fabulous. 

Wednesday
This is my day off. Two of the boys have piano lessons. They walk to them so I don't have to do anything except remind them to leave.
 Here are some pictures of them practicing the piano.
Tanner is doing really well. He would rather quit playing, but he does not complain and just keeps on going and is really playing some hard songs now.
 Have I mentioned that Alex is now a piano player? He loves it so much. He started a couple of months ago and LOVES it. He remembers to practice before I tell him and is doing great.

I don't think I mentioned that we let Jaxon quit piano lessons. He hated it by the end. We had a couple of years that he fought us every second about piano. A while back we set a goal for him and said that he could choose to be done when he reached that point. He could either get it done fast and be done in a few months, or dink around and take forever. Guess which one he chose? (clue: it took forever). He really did learn a lot in the 6 years he took piano lessons and he played really well. It makes me sad that he is done, but hopefully when he grows up a little bit and does not fight us on everything, he will go back to it.

Thursday
Jaxon is in fencing. He wanted to choose something different then everyone else. He likes that sort of thing. I like it too! He is having fun and learning how to be more aggressive.
Tanner has lacrosse again and it is the same time as fencing of course.

This works out pretty well until something different pops in the schedule, a weeknight game, a piano recital, a scout activity on a different night. That is when life gets crazy (er).

So, this is a temporary thing. Most of these activities will be over in a couple of weeks. If it was permanent, I don't think I could do it. Because of course, we still have homework every night and they have to practice their instruments every day too, and they want to play with friends. But they are happy. It is good to be busy sometimes and it is good that winter comes and we all settle down and relax a bit more.

- but my little boys are talking about basketball... I don't know if I want to go there.

1 comment:

Joey said...

You are amazing! I cant believe how great you are at being a mom. (and Andre is a dad)! your kids have a very blessed life because of the sacrifices you make for them.