Friday, October 4, 2019

The return of Family Home Evening

We have always had Family Home Evening. (mostly every week- but not every week. It usually consisted of a lesson and some kind of activity. Treats were not always planned, but the kids usually insisted that we find something.

Well, this year we have started Come Follow Me- and we are doing it on Sunday evenings. (I have loved loved doing this by the way. I love the New Testiment but have not read it for 20 years and I love sharing it with my boys.) So it feels like we just moved FHE to Sunday nights. So, Monday night just kind of fizzled. Plus, the first half of the year- Mondays were super busy nights. But no one has anything on Mondays right now- no excuses.

Anyway... I decided that since we are doing a whole lesson on Sunday, that we could just focus on the fun on Monday! Jaxon had Monday off so I asked him to share a past conference talk with the brothers (counting down to conference weekend) and come up with the treat- he was in charge of planning the treat and making the treat.

So Jaxon shared his thought- less than one minute. Then we played this game. I remembered it from my childhood. We didn't play it much as a kid, just a couple of times.

How you play: You have flour packed in a teacup shape. (I used a measuring cup because I don't have any teacups.)
You put a candy on top. I think we used a dime when I was young. I thought a candy would be better and more sanitary.

Everyone takes a turn cutting the flour and tries not to let the candy fall. (this picture is a bad example because Chase really wanted the candy and tried to get it to fall)

Here are some pictures of cutting...





Then, when the candy falls, if you made it fall, you have to get it out with your mouth. Here are some pictures of that.


Chase was not aware that flour is not something that you want in your lungs. So here is some comic relief for your viewing.





Then, Jaxon's dessert was a fancy drink. I forget what it was called, but it was a virgin something so it usually has alcohol I guess. It had coconut water, lime juice, egg white and sugar water. You shake it up really well and serve. Chase got totally into it and decided that this was a bowtie occasion. Then he grabbed his top hat also. He was Mr Fancy while he served the drinks.



It was ok. I liked it. It had a texture so I had a hard time with it. But it tasted good. The kids made another batch and had more.

So... here is to more FHE's with more activities and less lessons.

No comments: