Friday, July 3, 2009

Water Boy

Alex is water boy. He has always liked water but I had forgotten that during the winter. This spring he was obsessed about spraying ants. He had a little squirt bottle and he would spend hours walking around squirting ants. There didn’t have to be ants around- he could just think there were ants. He would just squat and squirt for ever. Then he kind of got tired of that. He moved on to hoses. We got a nozzle on the hose so I could water my plants easier. I am not allowed to use the hose. Alex is in charge of the water in this house. He also loves baths and can stay in it forever. He plays in dad’s bathroom sink a lot because he can climb up and reach it. Once he was playing for at least an hour in there with a golf ball and a sail boat. Then if you mix water with sand or dirt- there is a whole new fascination for Alex. He likes to make lakes in my garden. So… to decorate this blog I will have pictures of Alex and water throughout.


My friends gave me a gift certificate for a pedicure for my birthday. I went to get it today. I came home with shiny toenails. All the boys liked them- but Alex. “Mommy, I don’t like your colored toes. Make them go back.” He really hates them. Every time he sees them he tells me so. It is a week later and he told me today, “I don’t like it this way” and he gives me a grumpy face. I tell him that he needs to deal with it.


Alex loves to play bad guys and good guys. He likes to watch shows about bad guys. He calls them "mad guys". "Watch out! That mad guy is going to get you!"
I was getting dressed. Alex came in to see what I was doing. He is barely three- it doesn’t matter. “You are a girl mom. You are a girl.” He was excited to tell me something that I didn’t know. I said, “Yes I am, thanks for telling me.” “You are a girl and I am going to tell dad when he gets home that you are a girl.” He was so proud that he knew something important. Later I told Andre how obsessed Alex was about that. He remembered that Alex did tell him that mom was a girl. He remembered all day and told dad just like he said he would.
When Alex has been crazily spinning around or something, he always says, "I'm busy". We could not figure it out for a while. Then we guessed that he says, "I'm dizzy."
He is obsessed with super heroes and super powers. One day he came up to me and said this is my super power ring. It makes me have super powers. I was really impressed that he came up with that on his own. Then we were watching Underdog. We got it from the library and he loved it. Underdog had a power ring that did lots of super power stuff. So now I am impressed that he can retain cool information from the TV.
Alex is obsessed with “stuff”. He is always carrying at least 2 toys with him at all times. Some of his favorite “stuff” are magic wands (tinker toys), mini cars, marbles, guns or dice. He also will fill up his bag and carry that around. He always talks about his stuff and how he wants to take it everywhere we go. Chase always wants Alex’s stuff. He is never happy finding his own stuff.
My sister let us borrow the Smurfs DVD that she got. My kids loved it- a lot. Well Alex has picked up a fun phrase from the show. Remember Grumpy Smurf? He is the one who hates everything. Well Alex hates everything now too. “I hate dinner”, “I hate snails”, “I hate getting my shirt on”. I am trying to ignore it and maybe it will go away. Today we were going to “run” a 5k. We told the boys all about this race we were going to do. They were so excited until we said to get into the car. “I hate races” said Alex.
Alex likes to take his shirt off. Usually he does it when one of the older boys has done it. But lately he does it when he is hot, wet, and any other idea that crosses his mind. One day Andre asked him why his shirt was off. He said, “It is a boy thing to do.”
Andre and Alex were outside. Alex came running up to his dad and said, “I found a stuffed animal!” Andre started walking up to it and saw that it was not a stuffed animal. It was a dead bird. Then Alex came running to tell me about the stuffed animal that he found. We didn’t tell him.

Alex does not want to be potty trained. We tried it and he did not like it and cried a lot. We decided to stop and try again later. Ever since then he will randomly say, “I don’t want to go potty in the potty. I don’t like it.”

Andre got home from his soccer game today. I asked him how the game was. He said, “we got killed- 7 to 3”. Alex looked at dad and said, “The soccer game died?”


In Alex’s nursery class there were only 3 kids last week. (which is weird because 2 weeks ago there were 14). So one of the teachers decided to have the kids trade names just for fun. She called them by different names for a few minutes. Alex looked at her and said, “You are freaking me out!” I guess kids pick up what we say when we don’t mean to pass it on.

4 comments:

RaNae said...

I had to laugh at how literal Alex is. It reminds me so much of Nick.

Cathryn said...

Your garden looks nice. I see you also have a cool sandbox or should I say mudbox for the boys. Yes, boys and water and mud - what could be more fun?

John said...

It's amazing how opinionated kids are from almost day one. Didn't they get the memo that they should think like we do? Though I guess that would make them a lot less "exciting".

G'ma Y said...

Alex is so special. I love the way he says,YES when I ask him if he wants to do something. He is very posituve around us. I wish he would be positive about wanting to use the potty at G'ma's house but that is the one time he says No.