Monday, May 24, 2010

Pictures of the Week

Tanner has been playing soccer again. He is doing really well even though it has been freezing for most of his games this spring. His team is doing really well.
I'm not sure what he is looking at- it is not the ball.
Andre was the substitute coach last week. He left his game early to make it to this game. Hence-
his soccer uniform.




Last May I wrote a blog about snow in May. That was fake snow. Just take a look at this picture! I took this picture TODAY. May 24th. I don't remember snow this late. I'm sure it has happened but I don't remember it.

Lame.


When he was in 2nd grade Jaxon started reading Geronimo Stilton books. He will still read one on occaision. They are fun books. It is about a mouse who loves cheese. Especially Stilton cheese. For at least two years Jaxon has wanted to taste Stilton cheese.

Lately he has been begging me to have a cheese tasting day. Well I finally went to the store today and bought some fun stuff for a cheese tasting dinner.

Yummy fresh made bread, different kinds of meats (that my kids might eat), a selection of crackers, grapes, and different veggies (got to try to make it a little healthy).



So... The moldy looking one is Stilton cheese.
The white with the brown edge is Gouda.
Then I was boring and just got cheddar, mozzerella, and Colby Jack.
My kids are not known to eat new foods well. I didn't want a fridge full of cheese that no one would eat.
The toothpicks are there to make eating this fun. In fact all the foods were toothpick friendly.

Jaxon was SOOOO excited. Can you tell?
He said that he liked the Stilton. He didn't even make a gross face when eating it. But he didn't want any more.

Tanner liked most things. He stayed away from the things that he knew he would not like.
Alex had fun with toothpicks.

So did Chase.

A funny thing happened. We didn't give Alex any Stilton because we knew he would not like it. The cheese plate was right next to him and he decided to grab a piece, "I am going to try this one!" He popped it in his mouth before we could do anything about it. So he started chewing. We asked if he liked it. He was all smiles and said "Yes!" Then about 6 chews later, his face instantly changed to a look of disgust. "This is yucky!" I could tell his entire dinner was about to come back up. So we gave him a drink to wash it down. He could/would not swallow it with the drink so we had him spit it out. He was not impressed. This is a picture of him holding the stilton trying to make a gross face. But he was laughing too hard.



I have to say that I hated the Stilton. It tasted furry to me. I can still taste it in my mouth hours later- blah. I have had bleu cheese before and that was good. But this is stronger and... furrier. I have some in my fridge- does anyone close by want to have it?

Jaxon did really well tasting the cheese. I may have to buy some different cheeses now.

6 comments:

Carie said...

What a FUN thing to do!I love your cheese tasting dinner! Well, except for "furry" cheese. Icky! lol

Mandi@TidbitsfromtheTremaynes said...

I'll take it!!! LOL j/k. That looks like an awesome dinner/FHE experience! I didn't know Andre played soccer! That's awesome.

Jefferson said...

SNOW!

Chelita said...

What an awesome idea!!! I love cheese...I think that I should have a cheese tasting party now! But I have to say that Stilton does not look appealing to me! :)

Joey said...

That looks like a ton of fun!

RaNae said...

Ever heard the phrase, "Cut the cheese?" It came about because of strong-smelling cheese, such as Limberger, being cut at the dinner table. I would suggest you DO NOT try Limberger at a future cheese-tasting dinner.

You might try goat cheese though.