I really thought that we didn't have a lot to do this month and that we would have a little peace. But I guess I didn't remember all the stuff that comes up in December. We still have homework, young men's, piano, and hapkido. Those are all year round. Now basketball has started. And there is more Christmas stuff than I thought. At the beginning of the month I decided we could add a bunch of Christmas activities. I planned them all at the beginning of the month. I'm glad I did because if I waited until each day- it would never happen. And, we really do have time- if I have low expectations and just do it for fun, not to be putting it on pinterest or something. This is for the memories of my children. Not for anything else.
Monday- I didn't take pictures. It is always a crazy day getting errands, food shopping, laundry, cleaning from the explosion that happens over the weekend in our house. Jaxon had a
dentist appointment so that takes up some of my productive time. I never get as much done as I need, but it works out somehow. Alex had piano lessons after school. That night our family home evening activity was to go to the D.I. and buy gifts for the Bartlome family white elephant gift exchange. Ya, we forgot that the D.I. is closed on Mondays so people can have FHE. So, luckily there was a dollar store in that parking lot so we went there instead. Then Tanner was off to Hapkido.
Tuesday I spent all morning wrapping gifts and figuring out what we have and what we still need. I didn't get done until just before kids got home. I used to do this in the evenings. But now, our children never go to bed and I am too exhausted to want to stay up and wrap gifts all night. I got to watch TV while wrapping, so it was a fun morning.
That afternoon, I was going to hurry and make dinner while my older boys
raked leaves. I hate that the leaves never fall off the trees until
almost Christmas. Well, I didn't have a main ingredient of the dinner so
then I had to scramble and make something else. I put this in the blog
because it happens way too often. I think I have an ingredient and I
really don't. It is lame. Tuesday night Tanner had scouts but Jaxon's was cancelled. So we did our Christmas activity which was hot
chocolate.
A few months ago Andre won a gift card to Starbucks, so we decided to get some hot chocolate there. I ordered 2 white chocolate, 1 peppermint, and 1 caramel. He said, what is the 3rd one? I repeated myself. (That is 4 right? 2+1+1=4) so we paid for it and then waited while he made them. He brought out 2. He was very confused. We looked at the receipt and we paid for 3. So who knows what happened.
Wednesday I spent the morning getting my Christmas letter written. It is stressful. I could not be creative like other years, so I just wrote something. Here is a picture of the Christmas card paraphernalia.
That night was pack meeting. It was a great night of no stress. I love cub scouts, but pack meeting almost always causes me too much stress. I am hoping that it will be different now. I love that I get to go with Alex. He loves scouting. Chase had his school program. Since I was at pack meeting, Andre took him. He loved watching Chase sing his heart out!
Pictures of Chase are on Andre's camera so I'll have to get them later.
We got back from pack meeting, Chase and Andre got back from the concert and Tanner went off to his Hapkido. Then the other boys did our Christmas activity which was to make snowflakes. We used a book to show us how to fold them right and traced different patters. It was fun. Tanner made one when he got home.
These activities are really flexible to what we can do. If someone wants to spend 5 min and make one- that is fine. If someone wants to make 25 snowflakes- great. No pressure.
Thursday I raked more leaves and did a few more shopping trips to find things for people that we love. Also tried to get the last addresses for the Christmas cards. It was Alex's Christmas program. He was so excited about it. He loves to sing. Loves it. He did a great job singing.
When we got back, we did our Christmas activity which was a Christmas Craft. I had purchased a kit from Hobby Lobby. I used it for scouts and then used it for my kids. It was a no prep thing for me- so that is perfect.
Fun for all. Jaxon is getting a little old for these things. But so far he has a good attitude and does it with us. The younger kids love to do these things.
Friday on the way to work, Andre had tire problems! What luck he has. The car started driving a tiny bit funny but he was almost to work, so he pulled into his work's parking lot. As soon as he opened the door of the car, he heard the hissing air escaping. He hurried in and drove slowly to the tire place that he always goes to that is just a little ways down the road. They fixed it for him. He must have driven on something sharp that punctured the tire. Again- thankful for his safety. But I didn't know that was happening- I had lots of errands to do. I finally mailed the Christmas cards. I spent the whole week filling in the gaps in Christmas presents that I found when I wrapped things. I just got that done and gifts hidden, when school was over and I had lots to do. Alex went to a birthday party, Chase was invited to a friends, Tanner had a camping trip with the scouts. I had a foot doctor appointment. I don't want to talk about the fact that my hammer toe is starting to hurt me when I walk and that there really isn't anything to do except surgery. Then picking everyone one up from all their places, making dinner and boom- the day is almost over.
Our Christmas activity was to make treats for the people that we home teach and visit teach and the kid's church teachers. We decided what to make, went to the store to get the stuff, and made it. We made fudge and white peppermint fudge that night.
The kids loved the chopper thing.
They loved to chop candy canes.
Tanner helped me make Peanut butter chocolately things the next day. He "camped" Friday night. It was a party. They played video games and then they went outside to sleep.
Saturday was crazy! But a fun kind of crazy. It started at 9:00. Chase had a basketball game and it was a ward breakfast party. So I took Chase to his game and it was really fun. I took a million pictures and these are the best ones. He did well and it looks like he really gets the whole basketball thing now. It is amazing how it just kind of hits them eventually.
This is his basket that he made during the game!
My phone just does not take pictures well with action indoors. It never has, it never will. We all just have to deal with it.
Then we hurried over to the ward party. We got there in time to see the special guest. Chase never really wants to see Santa. Never has. But he was a little bit more willing this year than others- after I talked him into it. I told him to come up with a funny thing to ask Santa for- like an alligator. He said, "I never ask for anything, I just get what I get- whatever." That is pretty mature for a 7 year old.
It was a cute Santa and his wife. They were so nice. It was a Pajama party so Alex had his robe. Chase was wearing his basketball clothes minus the jersey which was making him hot?
Then we cleaned the church. We signed up to do that before the party, thinking that would get us out of there quickly. But then they changed it to after the party so it was just long.
I came home and ironed so Sunday morning would be uneventful (did not work)
Andre took Alex to his basketball game (no pictures because Andre is the
assistant coach and does not have time to take pictures). Tanner and I made the peanut butter buckeyes and got the plates ready to deliver. The kitchen floor was atrocious and it had to be mopped. Especially after the kids helped me make cookies. It is amazing what ends up on the floor and trampled.
Then we watched The Empire Strikes Back. I didn't think I liked that one- but I do. The kids are really liking this Star wars thing, and so am I, but I almost fell asleep. This is the first time all the way through for a lot of the kids.
We went to Denny's for dinner. Then went downtown to see the lights. It was so busy. It was like everyone else In the valley had the same idea we had.
We saw the candy windows.
And the Temple was gorgeous.
I did not take a lot of pictures because I know that Christmas lights always make my pictures blurry. So I got one good one and quit!
Chase really really wanted to go in the Tabernacle. We was excited to see the choir. They were not there.
Here is a picture of Alex.....
Chase wanted to photobomb him.
Sunday Alex and Chase woke up with mild cold symptoms. Really they started the night before but I was hoping it would just go away. I read The Outsiders with Tanner and it really is a good book. He hates it- but I like it. The boys played D and D while I worked on my blog. Then I rushed to get ready for Choir. 11:00 is deceiving. You think you have a lot of time but you really don't. I was late.
Then the mad rush to get everyone ready for church and we made it. The choir sang and it was beautiful. I loved it. (Later, Andre asked me if some thing happened during the song. I guess someone in the choir thought that I was upset or something during the song. I can't think of what that could be. maybe I got emotional because of the spirit of the song- it happens. But I know who it was because right after we sang a lady asked me if I was happy and I said yes I was. But I didn't talk much because we were walking down off of the stand. So who knows, maybe I sing with a sad face.) I took Alex and Chase back home after sacrament meeting. I guess their symptoms are real- but minor. I just don't want to spread it to other kids. I went back for Relief Society.
After church I made dinner and Andre took the plates around and delivered the treats. We got our jobs done and then watched Return of the Jedi. It was awesome. Then our Christmas activity was Christmas song karaoke. I took pictures of that.
I think we all had a good time.
You tube is the best.
We got littles in bed and we played Polish poker or whatever it is called. I am bad at it. Then we all went to bed and woke up to a snow storm. It is so beautiful!
No comments:
Post a Comment