Monday we woke up to a major winter storm! It was so pretty. It think we had 5 inches.
My younger two boys were sick and didn't go to school. They were really fine, but Alex's nose would not stop running and Chase's throat hurt. So they stayed home and they were 100 percent better by afternoon. So I took Tanner to school. Traffic was terrible with all the snow. The road were pretty clear. But traffic was really backed up forever. We left 15 minutes early, and got there 15 minutes late. On a good day it takes 7-8 minutes to get to the school depending on which traffic lights we hit. Monday it took 40 minutes.
So I got home and had to entertain two "sick" boys all day. The kids are not allowed any screens if they stay home sick. So there was a lot of reading and game playing and whining and stuff. Then I remembered beads. Beads are so amazing. My kids will spend hours making bead creations and there are no screens involved. I didn't get many errands done on Monday because of snow and kids home and stuff. But laundry and stuff was easier because I was home all day. Our dryer is officially dying. It has not been drying well for months and months, but now it is making a terrible screeching sound also.
Andre got home and we had FHE. We went to South Jordan City Hall and the street right in front of it and saw the candy windows there. It was so beautiful with the freshly fallen snow. And the theme for the windows was Star Wars- so the kids liked that.
Twas the "knight" before Christmas
How festive and Christmas-y are these pictures?
The kids were surprisingly not wanting to go see the windows. But I made them go. Afterwards I was told that all we had been doing the whole month was going to see Christmas lights and that they would NOT go again. Well. How lame are they? Here I thought that was the fun of Christmas and that I was helping them have fun. See if I do that again.
The traffic was so bad on Monday morning (It took my sister 2 hours to get to her work at a school in Sandy) that some schools had a late start on Tuesday ( there was another storm on Monday night). So my kid's school started at 10:15. We went out and shoveled- I think there was another 4 inches? But we only shoveled the driveway that we drive on. The boys got out the sleds and sledded down the driveway that we don't drive on. That was a fun before school activity.
Then we went in and got ready for school and I took them. Then I was able to get something done. When I have kids home all the time it is hard for me to get my stuff done. And the week before Christmas, I have a lot to do. Tuesday night the older boys usually have Young Men's but it was changed to Wednesday night this week. We did not do anything spectacular. Just homework and craziness. Oh ya, I had tons of cooking to do. I made lots of pretzel Jello for Andre's work party and some for us because it is a favorite with some of my kids. Then I got the graham cracker houses together for the Webelos. (I put together the bases for them ahead of time because I know from past experience if the bases are not hard and they put a ton of candy on them, the houses collapse and it is not fun for the boys). That was hours of baking and I did not get my cookie's done that I was going to do for my Thursday event- but I was tired and Andre and I watched Fringe.
Wednesday's are so busy. I got lots of stuff done during the day. I purchased a new dryer! But they can't deliver it until after Christmas so that is lame. And lots of other boring errands were accomplished. We had Webelos and that was fun. I love these boys. People ask me why I keep doing Webelos. It's because of the boys. They deserve a good scout program. They deserve to do fun things and learn cub scout skills. So I do my best. (sometimes I do better then other times.)
After scouts I was hurrying to get dinner ready when Andre reminded us that Jaxon had a band concert to go to. It was on my radar, but I didn't know it was so soon. It is a good thing that we have our Andre. He remembers a lot of stuff. Here is Jaxon with his bow tie ready for the concert.
I don't have pictures of the concert so just imagine him playing the Trombone on a stage with lots of other teens playing various instruments.
Every year I make extra houses for my kids and we decorate our houses on Webelos night too. It works out. The Webelos leave my house a wreck and they always leave their leftover candy. It all works out. The kids love to decorate these things.
Alex started just dumping the frosting on so it was like snow.
Jaxon was gone and when he came home I was gone with Tanner at Hapkido and he did not seek the house decorating out. So we both made one the next day.
Thursday I made my cookies for a Christmas party that night. And I had 12 egg yolks left over from separating eggs for other recipes that week. I needed to use it up. I made an egg yolk cake. (It was fine but not spectacular. I am not eating that kind of stuff so it is just sitting there and my family is not eating it.) My errands were completely frustrating that day. You would think that bank tellers and checkers would try to have a little bit of customer service. Just a little. That night Alex had a piano recital! He played Oh Holy Night. He did a great job!
I left and went to a fun Christmas dinner with some girl friends. It was good to get away from the chaos and just talk to other women. It kind of helped with my lack of patience that I had been having all day- to get away and do something fun and different. Thanks for the fun time.The Christmas activity was to wrap gifts. The boys wrapped the gifts for Andre and I. This was done while I was gone. So I hope it went well!
Friday I got to go to a holiday party at Chase's class. They made stockings and filled them with candy and hats and gloves that are going to "poor kids" the teachers are in charge of that so I'm not sure who they are going to. Maybe the homeless shelters? The kids had a lot of fun and they did something for someone else. Best kind of party ever.
I looked around to find Chase. I found him putting a giant exclamation point on the Merry Christmas. I thought that was very funny.
Friday after school we got our neighbor gifts ready and delivered them. Then later that night we watched the Polar Express. Cute movie. I think I have only watched it one time before. The kids have watched it a lot.
Saturdays are crazy for me. This was no different. It started at 8:00 with a Jr Jazz basketball game. Those are fun to watch.
Then Chase and I went to 3 stores looking for the perfect thing for Chase's brother gift. Then I came home and took Jaxon to find his brother's gift and Andre took Alex shopping for the same thing. Tanner went sledding. Then we went over to my parents house to watch the BYU- Utah bowl game. Can you see Jaxon cheering and my mom with her hands on her head? That is how the first 10 minutes of the game went. Worst 10 minutes of a BYU game ever. Best 10 minutes for the Utah fans in our midst.
I had to leave the game early. It was a good thing because I must have been cursing the BYU team. As soon as I stopped watching, they did better. I got to go to Alex's Jr Jazz game. Here are a few pictures.
Alex has improved so much. I am so glad he likes it.
This is funny. Alex got himself caught in the corner and he could not dribble again.
So he decided to throw the ball over his head to his team. That's one way to do it...
Then I came home and made dinner and took Tanner to get his brother gift. I am excited for the boys to give their gifts. I think they are great gifts. And I am proud of my boys for earning and spending their own money. (20-30 dollars worth is a lot for these boys)
Then Andre watched a stupid Christmas movie with the boys. I wanted to collapse and do nothing. But I was subbing for primary singing time on Sunday so I planned that. Then I collapsed and did nothing but watch Fringe with Andre. Weekends are long and tiring.
Sunday was another marathon. We had choir practice, and during church we had our choir program where we got to sing the songs. It was amazing. I love the performances. Then I spent 2 hours literally doing a song and dance to keep the kids happy and singing during singing time at church. It is the most exhausting calling in the church if you ask me. That was a lot of singing for one day. Then after church I had a sports meeting for the upcoming young women basketball season. Then I came home, made dinner and ate dinner. Our Christmas activity was a birthday party for Jesus! It was low-key. We sang to him, ate cookies for him- we are nice like that) and we made him gifts. We all wrote what we will give to him. I wrote "patience and prayer" I am going to have more patience with my kids and I am going to say my personal prayers better. So far... hmmm. Then I wanted to do nothing. We watched Elf together. That counts as nothing. The week was over! 4 more days until Christmas!
No comments:
Post a Comment