My brothers, sisters and I spoke at my dad's funeral. I had 5 minutes. FIVE minutes. That is not very long. I wrote up a rough draft that was at least 15- and I didn't even put all my stories into it. I want to share my longer version here. I am going to put some pictures of him throughout. They won't necessarily match what I am writing. I just like those pictures.
-----------
My patriarchal blessing says, “You have unusually sweet parents. Look to them for guidance, for in their counsel you will find wisdom.” This is so true of both my parents. Of course I am going to focus on my dad today and how unusually sweet he was and how he taught us all by his words and actions.
My dad worked hard
My dad was a handyman. He could fix anything or build
anything. He grew up working in an orchard so he learned how to work hard. I
heard a lot of stories of how he would work so hard and then play hard down in
the orchard. He said that he was a farmer who grew up to be a “farmer-cist”. As
kids we were so happy when he built our fort in the backyard. It had a sandbox
under it, a trap door and a slide exit. We used it for years. Every day he was
not working, he had a list of things to fix or do. If one of us mentioned something would be nice
to have or something was broken, he put it on his list and got to it. He finished
our basement to give us needed extra bedrooms and a room for my mom to teach
preschool in. Once mom mentioned that the shed would be cute if it had a flower
box under the window. He had one built for her as soon as he could. I could
always call him and ask for help, and he would come running. As an adult he
would come to our house and help us fix our stuff. When we were moving, we had
a minor plumbing issue. Before we had time to deal with it, He came over, got
the parts, and fixed it without us asking him. That is the kind of man he was.
He didn’t just think about doing stuff, he did it and did it well.
Being a pharmacist is demanding work. He was on his feet
working 12 hour days. His pharmacies were always busy and he did not stop
working. On his days off from the pharmacy, he did not rest, he had a lot of
work to do. And he didn’t just work hard, he cared about these people that he
worked with and served. Many people loved him and followed him from the
different pharmacies that he worked at. Some would only get their prescriptions
filled if he was working that day.
We had a big yard with lots of landscaping projects and there
were always the household repairs that needed to be done. He put his full
effort into these jobs so they could get done quickly. He had us work with him
and taught us to work. He always did this the right way, never the lazy way. I
remember him telling us a million times to use our elbow grease. Which meant
try harder, push harder. Whenever he could, he would go to his parent’s house
to help them with projects they had. My grandma wrote so many times, “What
would we do without Steve?” He was a great example to me to be responsible and
work hard. He loves his parents.
My dad Persevered
With all that work I just mentioned, you would not think he
had physical problems. Jeff mentioned a lot of his health issues. (Many food
allergies as a child, calcium deficiency which lead to many broken bones, asthma,
colitis, aortic dissection, arthritis, terrible feet problems, hearing loss.) These
were hard for him because they stopped him from doing the things that he wanted
to do. The last few years he had a lot of pain from every step he took. Yet my
mom had to keep reminding him to rest or put his feet up. He did not stop. A
few years ago after he had his colon removed, he was telling me that he could
no longer take ibuprofen for his arthritis because it was bad for his stomach.
I looked at him kind of shocked- “you have arthritis?” It turns out that for
years and years his joints have been horribly painful. But he never complained
or felt sorry for himself. He still did everything he wanted to do –including crawling
and playing with his grandkids. He just worked through the pain.
At the end of
April, he was digging a trench in his yard to help with drainage even though he
could hardly walk and really did not feel well. When we talked to him about
stopping, He said, “I will work until I cannot work”. He did not let the health things stop him. This
month I drove my dad to his procedure that was supposed to really help him feel
better. He had a lot of pain. No one knew that his gall bladder was infected.
My dad had a high pain tolerance- he did not use Novocain when having a root
canal. But he was hurting right before this procedure. On a scale from 1 to 10
for pain- he said he was at a 10. We started walking into the hospital. I
wanted to get a wheel chair for him. He said, “I am able to walk. I will walk
as long as I am able. I will not give up.”
My dad was kind
I have never known a kinder
person. He was kind to everyone including people he did not know. And it didn’t
matter the background of the person or the situation. He knew cars and if he
saw someone with their hood up looking inside, he would go ask if he could
help.
When we were teenagers and
driving cars he would go out in the mornings and warm up our cars and scrape
the frost off the windshields. If he noticed that we were getting low on gas-
he would just fill our cars for us. When I was collage age. I came home for a
weekend. I was talking to Jill, a new 16 year old driver, and she didn’t know
how to get gas for her car because dad just did it for her. I said that I
needed gas so I would take her in the morning and show her how. We drove over
to the gas station and I had Jill start pumping the gas. She said, “It isn’t
working- it just keeps stopping.” I went to help her thinking, “how hard is it
to squeeze the nozzle?” Well, sometime in the night my dad had filled up my gas
tank. It was very awkward to write an 18 cent check for gas. It was how he
showed love- he took care of us.
When I was a baby, I cried a lot. I have heard stories of
how he would come home from work after a 12 hour shift and take me from my mom
who had listened to the crying all day long. He would pace the house rocking
and bouncing me for hours.
When I was in middle school, there was some kind of drama
(that I do not remember) on the bus. I did not want to ride it. My dad drove me
to school every day for the rest of the year. Just because he loved me.
My dad loves my mom
My dad was the most kind to my
mom. He taught us from the time we were
young to treat her nicely no matter what. He loved whatever she cooked. Telling
us that “of course it is good, she put her finger in it.” He took care of her
every need and really cared if she was protected and cared for. We had a
picture of sunflowers in a basket that hung in our living room for years. Last
year when they were moving we found it. My dad said. “I love this painting
because your mother painted it. I never wanted her to take it off of the wall”.
He was always concerned with her happiness and did a lot of things for her to
make sure she was loved and protected. He would drive her to her work whenever
it was snowy and I often saw him doing the dishes and cleaning the house
because she had to work that day and he did not. He loves my mother still.
My dad was fun.
He took his kids fun places. I
watched Indiana Jones and Star Wars with my dad as a kid, he took us camping as
a family, taught us how to fish and even taught me how to gut a fish (something
gross that I will never forget). A favorite activity to do with my dad while
camping was him teaching us to use an old shepherd’s slingshot.
He loved science fiction and
fantasy books and movies. I have very vivid memories of watching Indiana Jones
and Star Wars with my dad as a kid. And his love of movies continued until now.
His kids and grandkids looked forward to movies that we could watch with him. He
loved to go to the new Star Wars movies, The Hobbit movies, Harry Potter movies
and more with us. It was a fun activity that his health did not affect.
He would read the books that my
kids read so that he could talk to them about the stories they were reading.
He had funny words that he used
that were just part of his language. They were part German, part French, part
made up. But I thought they were regular words until I was older. He said “Oy
Vey” all the time. We had “bumberchutes” at our house, he told us not to be a
“panty-waist”, he was always “flustered”. He said “Wunderbar” all the time. And
there are so many more.
He loved reading the comics in the paper. And he loved
watching cartoons like Scooby Doo as he ate his cereal for breakfast. He loved
peanut butter, lemon, and any kind of pie.
Because my dad worked such long shifts, and was gone many
evenings until after 9:00 at night, he had random days off of work. So he was
often home during the day when we were. So we had him around for many
activities that some dads couldn’t do. My mom always made us peach shakes when
we got home on the first day of school. When she started teaching school, my
dad started making them for all of us.
When I was really young, my parents decided to do little
activities with us just one on one. I was three and chose to ride the bus with
my dad downtown. This really was the highlight of my life for many years and I
talked about it always. I still have memories of waiting at a bus stop and my
dad realizing that we had time to get ice cream cones for us before the bus
came.
Growing up, dad was our photographer. We have a lot of
pictures of our childhood because he took a lot. He loved taking pictures. I
took a photography class in high school when cameras had film, apertures, and f-stops.
He taught me how to use his camera and a lot of the things that he knew. He
loved to teach us to drive. Before we were 16, he would take us out to the
middle of nowhere and teach us on dirt roads. When we were on real roads, he
taught us how to be defensive drivers. He used the word “rubbernecking” to
describe what you should be like in a parking lot. You should be looking in all
directions- your neck should be like rubber. He was patient with other drivers.
Instead of yelling, when a car in front of him would not go once the light
turned green (loud enough for those in our car to hear- but not anyone else),
“Is there a particular shade of green you are looking for?”
My dad was prepared for every situation. He always had
things that we needed. He always had a handkerchief (that he called a hanky),
clippers, change for gumball machines with him at all times. He always had a first aid kit when we needed
one. Once we were on a hike while camping. I fell and hit my shin on a sharp
rock. He said that if we were not an hour walk away from our camp and 3 hours
away from a hospital he would have taken me to get stitches. But he had all the
first aid supplies needed right there and helped me. I was fine. He also had
any tool you would need for any project.
My dad was Knowledgeable
My dad loved being a pharmacist. Whenever I was sick or my kids
were sick, or my neighbor had weird symptoms, I could call him and he would tell
me what kind of medications would help, how much to take, and a lot of times he
would have some kind of tips or pointers that he picked up. It was like having
my own personal doctor. When I was a teenager he worked at Dan’s Pharmacy that
was a 5 minute walk from my house. I would go over to the store all the time
just to say hi. Sometimes he would let me in the pharmacy and I would sit on a
stool out of the way and just talk to him for 10 minutes as he worked. I could
see how he cared for people, how hard he worked, and how much he knew about all
the medicines. One time on my mission I was sick and could not shake it for
weeks. I called the mission president’s wife to talk about it. She asked me
what I would do if I was home. I said, “I would call my dad. He knows
everything.” She let me call him. He was able to give me the proper name for
the medications not just the brand names so that I could go to the doctor and
ask for the things that had worked for me in the past.
My dad loved to read about anything. He always had a stack
of books and magazines nearby and he was constantly learning. He loved history,
and reading the National Geographic. When he had teenagers, many nights he would
stay up late reading so that he could talk to us when we got home. He also had
a lot of life experiences that he wanted us to learn from also. He shared
stories from his life and others, and teach us the morals form those stories. He
was always teaching us. For example: If I asked him a simple question like,
“what is diesel gas?” I would get the history of car engines, how to process
petroleum, why diesel engines work the way they do, and then answer my
question. So I know a lot of random things just by talking to him.
My dad was a grandpa too
When dad became a grandpa- he always wanted to hold the
babies. He always wanted to take them during family parties so that we could visit
with each other. When he would visit our wards, he always took the babies and
toddlers so we could pay attention for a change. He always had jelly beans in
his pocket to give to the older kids.
When I had toddlers and I needed a babysitter, I could ask
my dad to watch them and if he could- he would jump at the chance. My toddlers
loved playing with grandpa. This took a lot of pressure off of me as a stressed
out mom because I knew he was there for me. Not only did he babysit them. He
would play with them. I would come back to get them and find him lying on the
floor with the train set out and Cheerios as the train cargo, and my little
boys as happy as could be.
I asked my kids some of their
favorite memories about grandpa, these are some of their answers:
Everything! Fishing. He would play Legos
with us. When he helped me do my archery merit badge. He liked to teach us
things. Raking and playing in the leaves. He would teach us about stuff, like about
his old tools and how to use them. Playing in the sandbox with him. When we
would sleep over at his house, he would always play monopoly with us. I liked
doing leather work with him. Him teaching me how to drive. Having conversations
about everything. He would tell me interesting things and ask me what I
thought about things, he would listen to me.
My dad had a personal
relationship with each grandchild.
He was a Spiritual man
His body was not strong, but his
mind and testimony were. He knew his Heavenly Father and his Savior. He was a
great example because he lived what he believed. He believed in our Savior and
did everything he could to be like Him. He has left a legacy for us to follow.
He loved reading the scriptures and other things about the gospel. He bore his testimony to us in his everyday
conversations. He would find deep spiritual meaning in everything around
him. He loved being in nature and would
always talk about how grateful he was for God’s creations
We had a lot of discussions about the meaning of life and
how even though bad things happen, goodness will always prevail over evil.
These discussions were often based around Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, or
Star Wars. He would find spiritual discussions in everyday life.
He loved to share his thoughts with us, often printing out
spiritual thoughts, church talks, or stories and giving them to us. It was
always fun to get those and read interesting things that strengthened my
testimony.
There is a scripture in the book of Mormon that talks about
Moroni and what a good person he was. This reminds me of my dad. I want to
change Moroni’s name for just a minute. Alma 48:17… “if all men had been, and were, and ever would
be, like unto Stephen, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken
forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children
of men.”
My dad was so sweet to all of us, complimenting
everything we would do and encouraging us to do better. I know that he will
continue to support us and that we will be together again. In the name of Jesus
Christ amen.







2 comments:
Oh Janelle, that was so awesome to read! I have tears in my eyes right now, remember what an amazing man your dad was and still is! I was always a little jealous of you when we were teenagers that you had such an amazing, loving dad. But that didn't last long, because given his loving personality, he was just as loving and amazing to me. Your dad is awesome! I'm glad you posted this - it was fun to remember so many things about him. Hugs! Oh, and I loved the comment about "what shade of green are you waiting for?" LOL! I'm going to use that phrase. :)
What a beautiful tribute! Thank you for sharing so many wonderful memories with us. Your dad will always be one of the kindest people I've ever met. We love your family!
Post a Comment