Monday, August 13, 2018

Eagles

My oldest two boys got their Eagle awards. When I got back from my trip, I had to recover. So I took a week to breathe and catch up with life.  Then I had 3 weeks until Jaxon moved out. I had to plan something to celebrate their eagle receiving. Looking at the calendar, we really did not have a lot of days that we could do it. Normally a Sunday night is not a great option for a Court of Honor.  But that is what worked for us. So we had an open house- drop in and say hi- have a cookie and stay as long as you would like.

We had Rich Bushell give them their awards. 
He was the scout master for Jaxon and half of Tanner's scouting. 
I told him it was totally casual and to only take 30 seconds. He said, "Good, I don't have a scout shirt anymore." I said, "Good- We are totally fine with Star Wars shirts. "
Jaxon's awards arrived a year and a half ago. They have been sitting in my drawer waiting until I did something about it. Tanner got his awards right before Trek in June. 

I really wanted to show them that I appreciate the hard work. The sitting in classes that they didn't like and doing so many service projects that were not their first choice of activities. 

Hopefully these things have helped them become responsible young men. 

Jaxon gave his Mentor pin to Rich because Rich was an awesome scout leader. 
Just the kind of leader that Jaxon needed. 

Here are some pictures of the hanging out and talking that went on. 

The boys made lots of cookies this weekend. 
Then they made them disappear. 


Yes- we took some pictures! 


I had some displays up. 
Cub table...Pinewood derby cars, pictures, awards...
 Scout things- mostly pictures.

Here are some of the pictures:
This is what Jaxon looked like when he earned his award. I'm glad I took that picture. 


Look at that boy. 
They were so little

Because they are 3 years apart, they were only in cubs together for one week. I took a picture that week. 


Tanner's Buddies

Jaxon's Buddies



Jaxon loved the high adventure stuff. Especially rafting. He loved that. 
Tanner loves it too. I would have guessed that climbing was his favorite. But he just told me that mountain biking was better. I still love this picture.

There were more pictures. But that is enough for the blog. 

The open house idea was great. Less work for me- less speakers. The bishop came. He said, "Did you already have a court of honor for your boys?" I said, "no- this is what we are doing". He was amazed and said, "Can you do that?" Like in an amazed, amused expression. Andre said, "We didn't ask permission. We just did it". A lot of people might be doing it in our neighborhood in the future. I am not dissing the court of honor thing. It just didn't work for me this time.



1 comment:

Carie said...

Star Wars shirt is awesome... better than a Scout shirt! And we did the same thing for Michael's "Court of Honor". He didn't want a big deal, so we just did an open house. It's totally an ok thing to do. We read it.... somewhere in one of the scout books. It says you can make it what you want it to be. :)