I am trying to upload a picture of our kids to this post. I just wanted to put a few pictures on our site for those who don't see us very often. It has now been 8 minutes since I clicked "upload"and nothing has happened. It still says that my "images are uploading" but there is no way of knowing if it is going to take 45 seconds more or another 2 days.
We are trying to get new carpet for our basement. Or really I should say that we want some carpet because there is carpet in two rooms right now, leaving most of it just cold cement. But the carpet throughout the house is pretty nasty. It is about 11 years old and has the previous owners pet smell in it as well as a really nice rip right down the middle of the living room. We want to replace all the carpet in the house. So to do this we are trying to save money in every way we can. I am cutting the hair of the three male members of our house, we limit our eating out, we don't have cable tv or a cell phone, and we have dial-up internet service, and other things. We figure that someday with these sacrifices, we will have carpet! We got pretty close to getting enough saved last month and then our car died. We decided to get a new car instead of just dumping our money into the old one (we tried that last year and it kept breaking). So we spent all of our savings on a new mini-van. (which I like very much).
My image is still being uploaded to blogger and it has now been 14 minutes.
OK, that was a tangent because what I wanted to talk about was Dial-up internet. The previous paragraph is the explaination of why we have it. This paragraph is to complain about it. It really is too slow for the normal human being to be able to function. When I get on the internet, I usually bring a book or magazine with me so I can get something done while I wait. There are some sites that I don't even go to. Some things I have Andre do for me at his work. Movies or large pictures I don't even do. I guess I can sacrifice because I really do want my basement to be usable sometime soon.
Still being uploaded- 21 minutes.
I have started working with my neighbors with their photography business. I am still in training. In fact I have worked for a grand total of 2 hours so far. I will take the pictures that they take and prepare them to be put on the web. That is how the customers proof them. I will move into other areas of their business as I learn more. But it is a starting point. (Their web site is www.highlitephotography.com Alex just had some pictures taken. If you want to look at them you can go to "proofing" and type in alexb for the password.) I will be able to work my own hours and as many hours as I want. Right now I want to work from 8 to 10 at night 3 or 4 days a week and a couple hours on Saturday. So my working means that we can save for our carpet faster. It also means that I have to figure out a way to clean my house during the day. Right now I put the kids to bed at 8 and run around the house cleaning things so that it can be immediately undone at 8:00 the next morning. But even though I want to save money for carpet, one of the first things I am going to buy when I start getting paid regularly is faster internet.
Ok, it says that it is uploaded but I can't find my picture. I assumed that it would be placed in this post.
Sorry, there is no picture this time- maybe I'll have Andre upload some at his work computer!
3 comments:
We got one of those three month deals through one of the local providers -- three months of high speed internet for the price of low speed internet. The deal ends in the next couple of weeks. I have gotten used to 6 Mbps and am dreading the 128 kbps, but I'm not willing to $60 per month for it. We'll see how we do. I'm sure it'll just make me cranky.
- Nerd Boy
I don't know what you're paying for dial-up, but these guys are really cheap. 256k for $16 per month, or 512k for $19. It's a lot faster than 56k! My boss and one of my old neigbors use the blue zone and they like it. (I think there is a one-time fee for purchase of the antenna for your house)
http://www.thebluezone.com/
I'm just proud of you for saving up for your carpet. Good luck surviving dial-up!
--Minerva
Post a Comment