My six year old has a girl friend.
He announced this about a month ago. I asked who it was and he said it was a girl named Alyssa in his class. I asked him if the girl knew that she was his girlfriend. He said no. I later found out that she has red hair and she is cute.
The subject didn't come up again until this week when we are starting to think about Valentines day. We have made Valentines rocket boxes to put the valentines in that we get. My 6 year old decided that he was going to make homemade valentines for his whole class. Being the supportive mom that I am, I discouraged him from doing this. I was thinking of the mess that always occurs when he starts one of his projects, plus I am the one who always gets roped into helping with these projects. But he really wanted to make a huge valentine for Alyssa. So I agreed to that.
We just bought Superman and Pirates of the Carribean valentines (how those two things have anything to do with valentines day is beyond me). So 6-year-old got out the extra large red construction paper and made as big of a heart that he could. He came into the room and showed me his masterpiece. On it it said, "Alyssa you are my girl friend". Without laughing, I praised him and told him that it was very nice. Then I said nicely. Do you think you should have asked her if she wanted to be your girl friend? He said, " no, this is good" and walked away. Then I suggested that he write his name on it so she would know whose girl friend she was.
This is all fine and dandy. But I am a little worried about the reaction it will cause. I don't want my 6-year-old or Alyssa to get teased by other classmates. I also don't want Alyssa's parents to freak out thinking that some kid is stalking their little girl. But 6-year-old is determined to give her this so I am not sure how to handle it.
Another thing that I think is funny is that 6-year-old loves to watch Charlie Brown. We have not watched this episode recently, but there is an episode about Valentines day. Charlie brown is obsessed with the little red haired girl. Charlie Brown is always foiled in his attempts to give her the perfect valentine. Well, did I mention that Alyssa is the only red-haired girl in 6-year-old's class? I am wondering is his love of Charlie Brown has transferred over to his real life?
3 comments:
I can't believe he's old enough to have a crush. I was always super boy crazy, but the boys were always too busy with stupid boy stuff to care about girls. Way to go, 6 yo!
--Minerva
My favorite line: "No this is good" and he walked away. That just kills me. I wasn't that brave when it came to girls until ... well, until I said, "I do."
-- Nerd Boy
oh if all boys could be like that it would make life so much easier. Maybe he should be a dating coach and teach classes.
Post a Comment