Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Five!

Tanner is five today! I can't believe it. How did he get so old? We had a discussion this morning about when he actually turns five. I said it was today when he woke up. He said no! It was when he had his party. So I asked him if he "poof" turns five when he blew out the candles? He liked that. So when anyone asked him if he was five he said, "not yet! I have to blow out my candles."

About last November Tanner started talking about what he wanted for his birthday party. I kept reminding him that this year was his small party and he could only invite two friends to do something easy. (I go way overboard on their big party year- see future post for Jaxon's party on Saturday). So he started talking about a pyramid cake. That is all he wanted was a pyramid cake. He didn't want am egyptian theme- just a pyramid cake. So when he didn't forget about it or change his mind I thought it would be fun for him to go mini-golfing. I figured sometimes the mini-golf places have castles and lighthouses and maybe pyramids. It didn't matter if the activity matched the cake but I thought it was a good idea anyway.

I started making the cake yesterday. (It takes me forever to do anything like this because both babies need to be asleep or occupied by dad). I didn't really have a plan on what to make because these were the instructions from Tanner: "You can make it however you want, I don't care. But make sure it has lots of steps, but they have to be as big as my finger. You can make it any way you want, but it has to be a square on top so it has a hole in the top. But you can do it anyway you want but it has to be like this... (unintelligible hand gestures). So I was not really clear on what he wanted. But I knew that I really could Not do it any way I wanted.

Here is the finished product. He really did like it he told me that a lot. But he did say that he thought it would be taller and have more steps. I imagined the palm trees to be cooler but I could not get them to stay up- so they were just small and boring.



Then we went miniature golfing. We walked up to pay for our clubs and look what we saw!

A pyramid!



Here are some fun pictures of golfing.





Where's my ball?


Even Chase had fun being outside and watching the kids.




Watch out! Tanner is turning five right in this picture!

7 comments:

Michelle said...

When you had the title as five, my heart skipped a beat, and I thought "she is pregnant!" But I was glad to know that it was just a birthday party. I am way impressed with the cake! And then the coiencidence of having the egyptian theme at the mini golf course! WAY TO GO MOM!!

Chelita said...

Janelle- that cake is AWESOME! You can tell he loved it! You are an amazing mom!
Great job and Happy birthday Tan-man!

U-NO-HOO said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, TANNER! And KUDOS to Mom for 'interpreting' the cake making directions! ;) Way to go, Janelle. Seriously, I was like 'steps...pyramid...ok, ok...umm... ? square so it can have a hold...?' And ther was part of me that was like 'I'm glad I don't have to interpret this one!'

;) haha!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Tanner!

Anonymous said...

I love Tanner and he is nice to me and he plays with me. Happy Birthday. Happy Birthday Tanner.

Layne Bushell said...

Amazing that you created something like that! I would not have even tried. Cakes are just not my thing. That is when you call your sister to do the cake for you!

Joey said...

You are so amazing Janelle I Cant believe you were able to make such an amazing cake!