Sunday, May 13, 2007

Stapling Part Two

In a previous post I rambled on about how I really don’t like year-round school, but the worst part is how the tracks are assigned. Please go back and read that one if this post is at all confusing to you. I don’t want to rehash all of that unpleasantness. What is important to remember from that post is that my two neighbors and I decided to staple our track requests together. No matter what track we got, we would be together so we could car pool.

This weekend we got our track assignments. I won’t focus on how we were supposed to find out the tracks on April 28th and they arrived in the mail on May 12th. That was a minor disappointment every day for two weeks as I checked the mailbox. I won’t mention that it drives me crazy that I can’t plan my summer (two months away) because I don’t know when school will start for my child.

What I will mention is that I got track C. That was our 2nd choice- I was happy with that. Really -I told myself that no matter what track I got, I would be happy because Jaxon would have at least two friends to play with when he was off track. So I called my neighbor and was surprised to hear that she got track D, our first choice. We stapled our papers together. That is the school rule of keeping the kids together. We played by their rules, why did we get separated? So we went over to the other neighbor’s house. She is on D track. Hello. Of course they mailed the track assignments on a Friday so they would not hear about it immediatly.

How lame can a school be? I have really liked Jaxon’s teachers we have been very lucky to have 2 great teachers for his first two years. But the administrative things have never been great. For example: what is up with getting notice that you have a parent teacher conference with the teacher two days before? They could give a little bit of notice.

But like I said, I am not going to get upset about this. There is an appeal process. Now I have to fill out a track change form and send it in on May 21st. Who knows when I will find out the track. I guess I won’t be planning my summer until June now. (But I don't care too much because the important part of the summer is planned, subject for another blog).

This morning I went over to the school to get my change request form. After being told very sternly that they were not accepting the forms until May 21st and I answered very nicely that I knew that, I was just getting a form so I could fill it out. I asked very nicely why they thought I wasn't with the group that I stapled with. "Oh, that is the computer" stated the "nice" lady behind the desk. "It just spits 'um out". I know a little bit about computers. They do not have heart burn or nausea that causes them to vomit imformation out. They process the information that is entered into them. So if a mistake is made, the problem is with the person entering it, not the computer "spitting" them out.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aaaugh!! What a pain! I hope you get that all sorted out. Is any of this going to interfere with your Cali trip?

Anonymous said...

That is so lame.

Jefferson said...

You know, the way the administratino works in public schools is so frustrating. Are there any charter schools out by you? It's not like your kids get to go to school with the neighbors anyway.

Janelle said...

No charter school nearby. The closest ones I can think of are on 62nd South and 48th West or Draper. Where I live is slow on getting things like that.