Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Memorable Memorial Day

We had a couple of funny things happen yesterday.

Jaxon loves to annoy us. When he is in a hyper mood (which is way too often for my taste), he wants to irritate his parents. Yesterday we were driving up to a friend’s house. It was a 45 minute drive and he started making some annoying noise over and over. We told him that it was annoying and to stop. That just made him find new and exciting ways to annoy us. Then Andre said, “Jaxon, you know what will annoy us the most? If you sit still and don’t make a noise and keep your hands to yourself. That would be annoying!” Jaxon got a mischievous look on his face and he did exactly what Andre said! He really thought he was being annoying! We started laughing and he said, “Whaaat?” So we told him that he was being really annoying. I can’t believe that worked! (but just for a minute)

We were at the friend’s house and having fun. We had just had dinner and the kids had dispersed to play. Jaxon and their 7 and 9 year old boys were playing a video game. Tanner and the 4 and 2 year old boys were downstairs with the toys. We had Alex and their 1 year old twin boys with us. One of the older boys went downstairs and came back up and said, “all the little boys are butt-naked running around downstairs!” We laughed so hard. Whatever! Kids are weird. I do have to say that I am sure that my child was not the instigator of that, but was a willing participant.

Jaxon and a couple of the little kids were jumping on the trampoline. He laid down and the kids were jumping around him. The two year old decided to jump onto Jaxon. His head landed full force onto Jaxon’s front teeth. He is fine but it was traumatic for him. He has a couple of loose teeth now. (This is a good thing since he is 6 ½ and has not lost any teeth.) Yet another reason we are not getting a trampoline! Anyway, on the way home we were listening to the Jazz game on the radio. One of those lawyer commercials came on and said, “If you have been injured, call us today.” Jaxon said, “I have been injured! Let’s call them!” We explained that the lawyer couldn’t help his teeth from hurting. They just help people with insurance get money from the insurance companies. Jaxon was intrigued and wanted money. We explained that he didn’t have insurance and that the two year old didn’t have any money to give to Jaxon so the lawyers would tell him that there was no chance of getting any. “I’m calling them!” said Jaxon. I am sure he will bug us for days about calling the lawyers.

Last night around 9:00, I was sitting in my house watching Alex play. He was standing in the middle of the room and I was trying to get him to walk to me. He can walk but he doesn’t do it unless he is holding on to something, like a laundry basket. A large rumbly truck was driving down the road near our house. I assumed that’s what it was because that is what it sounded like. We have trucks drive by that vibrate the house for a minute because we still have construction in our neighborhood. It got closer and the house was shaking. Alex turned and looked at me like he was wondering what was going on. I really thought that the truck might hit the house, it was really shaking. This was all within a second or two. Then my brain switched ideas and I realized that it was an earthquake! My neighbor didn’t feel it as strong and she thought it was a sonic boom or something like that because it vibrated her house but not very strongly. Her husband works at a computer place in a neighboring city and called there. His work has a seismograph thing because for their computer servers they have to know if it was an earthquake. It said that it didn’t register any activity. So I thought I was crazy. Andre was at his parents watching the end of the Jazz game (on cable). He totally felt a jolt. He thought immediately that it was an earthquake. It was confirmed by the news this morning that it was a 2.3 earthquake. So I am not crazy.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your stories!! I feel so in touch with you and all of the other very cool bloggers out there! :)

Growing up, I always thought it would be so cool to experience an earthquake. Now that I'm a little more mature, I'm thinking I'm pretty content never knowing exactly what it feels like. Besides, with an awesome description like the one you gave, I almost feel like I was there!!

Thanks for the creative parenting tips. (the "annoying" silence) You have given me many over the years. One of my favorites is blowing kisses to an owie through the air. That still works for Lucille. Also, if she complains that she has a "poky" or something, if we just rub our hand on her and ask if it's all better, she's usually content with that. Aaaah, the life of a parent!! I love it!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love the stories!! Jaxon and his money making scemes. He makes me laugh!

Anonymous said...

I was sitting on my bed and felt the cat jump up on the bed. Oh, wait a minute the cat died last September. That's when I wondered if I felt an earthquake. It is interesting that a very small earthquake was felt by so many people, especially in South Jordan and West Jordan. I hope we don't have a stronger one especially while I'm in a very old and crumbling school. Oh well. Your kids are cute and make for interesting stories. M

Chelita said...

I think that Jaxon is going to make a lot of money when he gets older! He sure is starting out young!
I had no idea that there was an earthquake! I'm so glad that it wasnt bigger! I was thinking that you were going to say that a truck ran into your house! I'm glad that didnt happen!