Friday, June 20, 2008

Tidbits

Last Friday, Jaxon’s school had a carnival. It was to raise money for the PTA. It had lots of bounce house things and rides and some games. The games were the kind that you could win cheap little plastic toys or candy. One of the games you could win little stuffed frogs. Tanner won two of them and Jaxon won one. As they were walking away, they found another frog on the ground. It was ripped open on the back. (I was not there because I was at home, not in the heat with the babies) Jaxon asked Andre if he thought that I could fix the frog. He said, “I don’t know, maybe she can”. Then Jaxon asked if I could sew. Andre said, “I think so.” Jaxon then told his dad, “Dad, you need to get to know mom better!”

To put the record straight- I CAN sew, I just don’t. I don’t have a sewing machine so that is not an option even if I wanted to. I did take Home Ec. in Junior high so I know the basics. I do sew on buttons and I have done a few minor repairs on some items throughout the 9 years of marriage. But that is it. And if I need to do that, the item of clothing will be in a pile for months until I remember to do it.

We had a minor miracle the other night. We had Family Home Evening and no one cried! We did it really quick but it had a good point I think. We talked about what we are grateful for. Then we talked briefly that there are lots of churches, but we are lucky to belong to the only one with all of the true gospel. We talked about how all churches are good and the people who go to them are great. But we were thankful for our knowledge of the entire gospel of Jesus Christ. Then we all took turns bearing our testimonies. We have never done that and it has bothered me. I want my kids to hear their parents testimonies. Even if they are doing summersaults or jumping up and down while we are bearing them, they might have heard something. The kids took turns too- that was cute.

The funny thing during the evening was when we were all listing what we were thankful for. Jaxon was thankful for his game cube and Tanner was thankful for his family, and then we asked Alex what he was thankful for. He started talking and a whole bunch of words came out that we had no idea what he said. I said, “Oh thank you Alex, are you thankful for the dentist?” that was what it most sounded like. Tanner looked at me like I was crazy. “Mom,” he said emphatically, “he is thankful for MAGICIANS.” Tanner truly believes that Alex said magicians. It does not matter that Alex does not even know what a magician is. Tanner is right. Andre and I had a good laugh.

Chase had the best 24 hours of sleep yesterday. He did exactly what he is supposed to do. He had two, 2 hour naps and one, 1 hour nap. Then he went to bed for the night at 8:00 and slept until 8:00 am. I did feed him twice in the night but he went back to sleep. I am wondering whose kid that was because mine never do that kind of thing- especially him. I have been trying to get him to do that very thing but was not having any luck until suddenly he did it on his own. Hopefully it continues. Maybe it is because he had carrots yesterday. He has been having cereal- but that was our first vegetable.

Yesterday we got our new and improved high speed internet! So now it does not take forever to do everything. Plus I can be on the phone and the internet at the same time! It is much nicer.

My brother wrote about playing a game with his kids to get them to eat. It was to pretend the food is not theirs. Then they want to eat it. It was funny to read about it so I thought I would add our experiences. We do that game with Alex all the time. If I am making something and he gets in his mind that he does not want it, he starts saying No! So I just put it down near him (but not on his plate) and tell him that it is mine and that he should not eat it. Then I walk away. Most of the time he will eat it within 2 minutes. Once I actually put the bite in my mouth because I did want it. I wanted him to see that I had it so he would be jealous and eat the rest of the bites. So I was holding it with my teeth and showing him. Alex got mad and grabbed the bite out of my mouth and popped it in his own.

For the last few years Jaxon has been aware of the election process. Mostly because there are signs all over the place for the campaigns. He is always asking questions about what they are running for or who they are etc… Lately he is obsessed about having Andre or I run for president of the United States. I told him that I couldn’t financially or mentally, I was not qualified, and I did not want to run for president. He said, “Come on mom, you could be the first women president!” I have a feeling that we are going to have this discussion many times before November comes.

Alex is communicating better but some things are still confusing. He tells me that he has a stinky diaper by saying, “B in Bum” as he points to his diaper. I don’t know what he thinks he is saying but at least I know what he means. Another funny thing that he does is he "scares" us. He will hide and jump out and say "BOO!" Then we of course cower and shake because of the fear. He laughs and laughs. Then he says, "shr me?" He said this over and over until I finally figured it out. He wants us to say "you scared me!" When we say that, then he laughs and laughs again.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What cute kids. We need to have a question and answer game at our next family get together so we can see who really knows there spouse. Your kids are darling and I love the carrot face. G'ma Y

John and Laura said...

ha ha! What great stories. Thanks for posting this kind of stuff. It makes me feel like I know your kids. Which will just be a problem when we finally see them next summer and I feel like I know them and they don't know me from Adam!

Cathryn said...

Jaxon always has the most interesting ideas. I have no doubt that you would make a great president, much better than HRC, but I think you are a little too busy right now. : )
Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

Dad Says
Thanks for these wonderful tidbits that keep me in touch with my wonderful grandchildren. They are growing so fast that before you know it they will be doing the bloging. Your insights really make them be so real, so close.