Thursday, May 7, 2009

Days Two and Three



If you missed my last post you may want to go back and read it because it explains what we are doing.

Day Two:
Tuesday was not very exciting because I had real life that I needed to do. So I gave my boys an assignment to use my camera to take pictures of 40 fun things to do. I tried to keep it vague so they could be imaginative. It was really fun for about 30 minutes and they got about 20 pictures then the battery ran out. We had to wait a few hours for it to recharge then we got busy and didn't get back to it until the next day.

Here are some of the things that they came up with. This was a great activity because I was not involved. I did the dishes and cleaned the house while they were entertained.

Day Three:

Utah Museum of Fine Arts.

I wasn't sure what to do and wrote something on Facebook about that. One of my neighbors told me that the UMFA was free on the first Wednesday of the month. Since it happened to be that day- we went. I went online and saw what exhibits they had. I chose one and asked a question about it. I saw online that they had an exhibit about Karl Bodmer. No I have never heard of him. I saw that his work mostly involved Native Americans and the American West. So I asked, "What kind of people did Karl Bodmer paint?" and, "Do you like his paintings?" We got there and there were no paintings- just drawings but they didn't notice.

After we hung out in the museum for 45 minutes or so we had a snack outside and the kids loved playing in the UMFA letters in the picture above. Then we explored campus. This museum is on the University of Utah campus. I am a BYU girl and have only spent a few minutes at that campus ever. I didn't know where to go. So we followed a long sidewalk past a bunch of buildings and ended up at this fountain. The kids liked the fountain as much as the museum.

Then right when we were leaving one of the grounds crew put the water over onto the stairs. I don't know why but the kids really liked that.

"39 clues" to be continued...

2 comments:

Markie said...

I love your ideas! The camera idea is especially brilliant - any fun that doesn't involve mom is the best activity of all!

G'ma Y said...

What fun times. The experiences you are giving the boys are worth so much.