The kids in the book travel around and solve problems to earn the next clue. We are doing our own version called "The 39 Points". Each day my kids get a question to solve. Then we go somewhere to find the answer or do something to complete that task. Then we get a point. We are trying to earn 39 of them. We had to change it from what they do in the book for a few reasons. #1 I do not have a big puzzle to solve that will save the world. I just go online, find out something about the place we are going, and ask the kids a question about that. #2 I have to be flexible with nap schedules and other things in my REAL life that I may have to do. #3 I will only go places that are free. (or really really cheap). They had things to make rubbings of the CTR symbol in different languages.
They had this depiction of Nephi's dream. The kids had fun holding on to the rod of iron and the taking the fruit off of the tree. Jaxon and Tanner know this story pretty well so it meant something to them.
Coloring stained glass windows. Chase loves markers. He loves to get marker all over everything.
They had blocks to build your own temple.
Chase was the only one who wanted to play with the dolls. He didn't really play with them but he wanted to pull them all down on the floor with him.
Then we went and explored the rest of the museum for about 10 minutes. 10 minutes is not enough time to see anything in that museum. It looks awesome. But one of the reasons I only want to go to free things is that we have to go at my kids speed. If they are done- then we leave and go home. I don't want to try to see the whole museum but have crying tantrum-y kids and grouchy moms.
We went outside and saw this fun cabin. It is in between the Church History Museum and the Family History Center. We had snacks and the kids ran around and got some energy out.
This is a great picture. Alex was happy- he just didn't look at the same time as the rest of the kids. 3 smilers out of four is good. The other fun thing we did was take trax (the train) from where we parked to the museum. That was another adventure the kids loved.
Jaxon said that he hoped that all the points we get will be that fun. We will see.....
8 comments:
wow! That looked like a super fun day! Who knew the church history museum would be so fun! I may need to go there! Ü
You are a great mom to give your children such good adventures and a great way to increase their background knowledge so they are prepared for all the real adventures of life.
I'm calling you next time we are off track! You are so creative!
Eliza R. Snow and Zina DH Smith Young were also presidents of the R.S. (numbers 2 and 3) and wives of Joseph Smith (both also later wives of Brigham Young, and in the case of Zina it's even more complicated, so I'll stop there), so your question had three possible answers.
It sounds like it was a great time - I'll need to remember to take the kids there while I'm in Utah - the children's section looks fabulous.
What a cool idea! Let's see, how long are they off track? I've forgotten, it's been so long since my kids were on year-round school. I haven't been to the church history museum since the new building. Have you thought about the DUP museum & the state capitol? Look through the Wolf book & get some ideas, or is Jaxon a Bear?
Have fun, can't wait to read about the next adventure.
G Pa says
I wish I could have gone with you. I have not been to that museum for longer than you have. And I have never seen it through the eyes of my grand kids. Thanks for this little look. Dad
This church museum looks like another great place in SLC to take kids. I'll have to remember it next time my grandkids are here. I'm glad you got to ride the Trax and ride the train at the zoo too. Boys love trains - they just do!
Awesome Idea, Janelle! Do you think I can keep it in my head for two weeks until my kids get out of school for the summer?
Post a Comment