Saturday, October 25, 2014

The Salt Flats

I saw a friend's family pictures on the salt flats a few weeks ago. I was impressed. I have always wanted to go to the salt flats. Now I had a reason to go! Fall break came around and I decided it was the perfect time to go. The weather has been beautiful. 75 degrees in October is fabulous! 

First we drove through Tooele. Why? Because I had never been there- that's why. It was a lot smaller than I thought- The mountains were beautiful. 

Second stop was the Tree of Utah. It is a weird sculpture on the side of the road in the middle of nowhere. (this weird shell thing is part of the sculpture) 

The tree!




Third stop. Bonneville Salt Flats.

I made the kids change into the clothes for our family pictures. They get sooo bugged about stuff like that. But I would not have to make them change if there was not a danger of getting junk all over their clothes in the 2 hour car ride.

The turn off is about 4 miles east of Wendover. It is clearly marked even though I have never seen it before. You drive a paved road about three miles into it. Then the paved road ends and it is just the salt flats. Below you can see the road ending and the salt taking over.


However- what I didn't expect was that this area floods in the winter time (we had a lot of rain in August so it has been flooded since then.) (this is unusual I guess).
So we just made do with what was there. The kids are all about playing in the dirt/salt.
It was BEAUTIFUL. The mountains in the background were reflecting in the water.
We took a lot of pictures. Remember that was why we were there?






This was looking west.

This was looking east.
Tanner and Alex had sandals and wanted to walk around out in the water


They went way way out  there and the water was only 6-7 inches deep the whole way! It was very flat. (I guess that is why it is called the salt flats.)
Chase hitting the salt with a bat. Why? Because he can.

We were joking that this could be a car commercial- so we took some pictures of our lovely van.

Tanner spent a lot of time making  this salt sculpture. I love his picture and how it mimics the mountains in the background.


After the sunset- Looking west
Looking east.

What a beautiful world.

Here are some sneak peeks at our family pictures. These didn't make the cut. But show why we were there.


Utah is amazing.

1 comment:

Carie said...

Awesome pictures and awesome family! I love that picture "looking east" of Tanner! The one with the ripples of water. Cool!